12U coaching interview

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I have applied for the head coaching job of my DD's rep ball team of 11 and 12 year olds (basically 12U for my friends south of the border....lol) I am in Canada. And I am just wondering if there are any do's and dont's during the interview process that I should keep in mind?? I have been an assistant coach for the last two years, have taken a couple recent coaching clinics and have watched and read a fair bit of coaching information so I feel I am ready. But any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jul 9, 2010
See my reply in the other 12U coaching advice thread.

I crack up when I see ads on our local sb board that say things like "12U pitcher with killer instinct needed", or "12U player with proven big stick".

Coach is not a noun at this age - it is an active verb. They may be athletic, and may even have experience, but you are a teacher. Understanding how to relate to girls this age, and knowing that you are there are to teach are the things I would look for. This last item will sound silly, but knowledge of the rules is key as well.

In a tb org I started, we had coaches who, after about 8 tourneys, still had not read the rule books, and were arguing the stupidest of calls. I had umpires complaining to me about it. Embarassing to the organization, and we had to get that fixed in a hurry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse