12u Coaches calling pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
This was a lot for a young catcher to have to think about.
By 18u the catcher did all the calling.

It really isn't "a lot for a young catcher to think about". These girls are not stupid, nor are they slow, nor are they unperceptive. Comments like that are a product of a coaches own insecurity, not a symptom of a players lack of ability.

A catcher that calls the game from 10 years old and learns from there mistakes (that's how humans learn, not by being told what to do, but by trial and error) will be much better at calling the game at 18 then a catcher who just was finally allowed to do it at 18.

This is THEIR game, not ours, let THEM play it. We, the coaches, are just here to show them (show, not tell) the way.

-W

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
If everyone was driving their 16-year-olds around because they don't trust them to drive, would you do it too? Or do you want to stop being the driver, have time to do something else, and let them drive?

Coaches in college calling pitches is sort of a fad, the by product of micromanaging softball since girls are 12 (always an excuse for the coach to do it) and having larger college budgets (more coaches). College budgets will be shrinking, never mind the automoton softball you see. I see more pitchers shaking off the calls. Go for it pitchers, call off the coach and both the catcher and pitcher can have a say!

Just watch how many times the coach's called pitch gets hammered. Look at last year's CWS, and all those screwballs (except Langenfeld's).

Not all college coaches call pitches. I know of at least one D1 college, the one in my area. UCLA only does it for certain inexperienced batteries.

Someome did a study, I think 2 or 3 years ago, and asked college coaches why they dont let the catcher and pitcher call their games. 90% of them said "Because nobody ever taught them how". That is surely a true statement.

Most coaches at every age level DO NOT want to give up that control, it's a control issue.

On the bad end of that, I have seen pitchers that could not care less if they give up a hit, lose the game, or whatever the outcome is, "I dont care if she hit a grand slam, dont blame me, I threw EXACTLY what I was TOLD to throw". They take no responsibility for their game one way or another. They take little to no pride in throwing a winning game either.

I have also seen coaches put their team's knowledge to the test. A pair of 12u coaches sat the game out and let their team players coach the bases and their battery call their own game. Did they make a few mistakes, yup. Did they win the game and impress the heck out of everyone in the stands, you better believe it. They passed with flying colors. They even pulled off a few trick plays they had worked on for a few easy outs.

If you think you taught them right and taught them well? Put it to the test and see how they do. They might just surprise the livin heck outta ya! :)

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2010
DD is in the first year of 12U and up till this weekend I've been calling the game. She worked with her new catcher in the off season and this weekend they showed that they could do it without me. She struggled a bit in the first inning and I could see her frustration when she kept shaking signs off. I turned the reins over and they made it to the finnals. The only thing better than no hitters are no hitters that they throw all by themselves. Sitting behind the backstop watching them work hitters is way more fun. Thanks Ray

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Where we play all of the 12U's that are around late on Sunday hit their spots and have 2 if not 3 pitches. Walks are rare...probably 2 - 5 over 7 innings. Based on this conversation I will think about having catcher call when we go 12U (right now we are 10U). She certainly is a great little field general. At 10u pitchers are hitting spots and mixing speeds. Not throwing a pitch that will lead to a dropped third strike or a passed ball with a runner on third is often the margin of victory. If a 10u throws a 44 mph fastball down the middle at 10u it very well can get hit very hard and I have seen a few go out at 190'. The coach calling pitches plays a big part.

I've always called through 16U so far. This year I think our 16U catcher can call an equal or better game against top compo so we will likely turn it over.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
The catchers on my DD's team have been calling the pitches since they were 1st year 14U. They do a really good job. The coach still gives a suggestion or two occasionally. At 12U, the catcher that wasn't in the game sat by the coach calling pitches and he would let her know why he called certain pitches. After awhile, he would ask her what she would throw and they would disuss it. After she was able to give good reason for pitches consistently, then he turned them loose. It's a learning experience, but they do well.

Feb 9, 2009
My 10U DD has three pitches, but only two that she feels comfortable throwing: FB and DB. Change-ups kill her....
Her TB coaches have been calling signs from the bucket for two seasons, and my DD HATES it. She says that she ends up throwing what she knows she can throw at that moment anyway, and having to wait for the signs to go from the coach to the catcher and then from the catcher to her is totally messing up whatever rhythm she's trying to get in...

May 22, 2011
Calling pitches at the 12u level was something I did to make both the pitchers and catchers understand the game. No pitcher of mine threw junk, they were required to hit spots signaled in and actually throw change ups an off speed. No young player wants to throw a change up until they begin to understand how effective it is in the right circumstance. As they get older more control of the game is handed to them while dicussing what is working between innings. By the time my catchers get to high school most of them are 4year starters on varsity at various positions. We worked on tells of the batters stance where her weaknes would be. This all translates into other aspects of the game(hitting &fielding). When I work with our Varsity catchers and pitchers I leave it up to them as far as calling the game. Some look to me for help at points during the game. Most call their own game. They are required to conference with we to discuss what is working and must meet post game to discuss what worked and what didn't along with any questions. As far as pitchers that come to me with 'all' their pitches most get whittled down to 2 great pitches or 3 good ones if they can hit their spots. If they can't throw it for a strike on command they don't get to use it. Doesn't mean they quit practicing it just not a gamer. Most girls third pitch will be taking advantage of their natural movement with a grip change. I wouldn't reccomend any pitches that require excessive sideways torque on either wrist or elbow until they have someone working with them daily ie college. Afterall you can't get there if you arm is done from throwing garbage all the time. Most cutters screws and curves wind up being either step right throw left or vice versa. Rises just turn into 'up' balls. Bending the knees and throwing up from a lower angle. It's always easier to fool the batter than out muscle them afterall they get a big stick. In the 4 years working with high school varsity this approach to pitching has cut our runs allowed in half with a significant drop each year and 4 different pitchers. All with ERA's under 3.00. Division 1...and NO pitcher gets in our lineup until they are as confident with their chageup as they are with the fastball.....any age.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
But the coaches never actually give up the calling in travel, except for one that posted here yesterday! HS coaches have more to do and less assistants, because of the pay, ie, that is no pay.

My 12u travel team calls their own. I was just watching the ASU/San Diego State game and the announcers mentioned that the SDS battery calls their own game. They went on to mention some other great pitchers, and all of the olympic pitchers that did the same thing. I still think using an Olympian as a role model is better then using a college freshman ;)

-W

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole