12u Coaches calling pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2009
In 12u club ball around here, pitchers are hitting spots with regularity and good velocity. Alot of decent changeups and I see breaking balls with movement. Pitch speeds are anywhere from 45-53mph at top end.

Jul 26, 2010
That's the problem with "A" ball. There's no qualification or pre-requisite to have an "A" ball team. All it takes is a daddy to fill out some paperwork and round up a dozen kids. Sounds like every single one of our rec teams in 10u could beat the teams you talk about, and I know that just isn't California bragging, I've seen a log of great 12u A ball across the country, and what you describe isn't it.

-W

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Unfortunately, the coach hadn't taught the team how to backup. So, the poor catcher made a nice throw to the corner of the bag at 3rd base, the SS got there about 10 minutes late, the left fielder was talking to the centerfielder (presumably about mascara), so the ball goes to the fence. The catcher's dad started yelling at her.

"Who were you throwing it to?" It took all I had not to get up and say, "At least your kids is trying to do the right thing. The rest of these kids would be better off eating cotton candy at Disneyland."

That drives me nuts. You finally get it through to the catcher to throw the ball to the bag, and if the fielder isn't there, its her problem not the catcher's. And then you got a dad hollering at the catcher for doing her job.

Jul 28, 2008
That drives me nuts. You finally get it through to the catcher to throw the ball to the bag, and if the fielder isn't there, its her problem not the catcher's. And then you got a dad hollering at the catcher for doing her job.

I'm constantly telling my catchers to throw to the bag. If the fielder isn't there, that's their issue. If you throw there, I will not be chewing you out, I'll be chewing them out. Doesn't seem to work. I'll have to find a new angle. :/

Jun 18, 2010
This is the first year our Pitchers / Catchers will be calling their own game. Our season starts Monday. We have been practicing with them on things to look for in the batters setup on when to work inside and outside, high low. I have one pitcher who can hit the corners with some consistency. We hare working on her change up now. On her change up, sometimes it is perfect, other times it may hit before the plate, or sale over the catchers reach. Our #2 pitcher has two pitches, balls or strikes, so it doesn't really matter what the catcher calls in that instance because none of us really knows where it is going to go.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
Amazing conversations..it seems that we want our 12U players to call the game! For me it depends on if the catcher can handle it! Anybody can put down signs but some can't do location. Last point...while watching College Softball...most coaches are calling the game so why are we worried about a 12U coach calling the game?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I'm constantly telling my catchers to throw to the bag. If the fielder isn't there, that's their issue. If you throw there, I will not be chewing you out, I'll be chewing them out. Doesn't seem to work. I'll have to find a new angle. :/

It becomes a trust thing. Can the catcher trust the fielder to be there when the ball arrives. It takes practice. Plus if the SS or whoever, is having a hard time fielding her position the catcher is not going to trust her to catch the ball on the move. Its repetition.

Oct 22, 2009
When my DD was playing travel ball 12u-16u, I always called pitches. I called pitches for all the pitchers. I did it because I took a lot of things into consideration when I called; What was working for the pitcher, what the umpire was calling, where we were in the count, how the team was hitting, where the runners were on the bases, who was the next at bat, where we were in the line-up, what that hitter has done in the past and sometimes even weather conditions.

This was a lot for a young catcher to have to think about.
By 18u the catcher did all the calling.

In college, depending on the game, the catcher only did some calling, most of the time, one of the coaches did all the calling. They took records on what a hitter was hitting and not hitting.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Amazing conversations..it seems that we want our 12U players to call the game! For me it depends on if the catcher can handle it! Anybody can put down signs but some can't do location. Last point...while watching College Softball...most coaches are calling the game so why are we worried about a 12U coach calling the game?

It could be that college coaches are calling the game because when they were 12 and 14 yo, no one ever taught the girls how to do it themselves. It could be that the college catchers are converted short stops who never caught before College, and it could be that the coaches want to micro manage the game, since their salary is on the line. Or some combination of all 3 of those factors.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
It could be that college coaches are calling the game because when they were 12 and 14 yo, no one ever taught the girls how to do it themselves. It could be that the college catchers are converted short stops who never caught before College, and it could be that the coaches want to micro manage the game, since their salary is on the line. Or some combination of all 3 of those factors.

100% agreed...so will it ever change..as Jojo said..some keep records on what pitch was thrown and the result so that the same or different pitch can be thrown! I do that and to me it helps!