12 month progress.... IR vs. HE

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
About a year ago I reach out to Ray (Sluggers) and asked for some feedback on my 11 y/o DD.
She had been pitching for 1 year and was struggling with control and although she was strong, her speed was low for her age.
Ray gave me some valuable feedback, which at the time, was hard to hear :D
We ended up looking for a new PC which took more time than we expected. We struggled with a few who claimed to teach IR but really only taught a different from of HE.
About 45 days ago we met a coach who teaches Tincher method and we couldn't be happier with the progress DD is making.
She has much work to do... as you can see in the second video but she is on her way.
Her speed has increased from mid 40's to lower 50's. Accuracy is better and the most important part... she was plagued with some lower back pain that now is gone.

This board has given us so much... honesty, support, encourgament and most importantly a place to learn.

DD just accepted an offer to play on an elite team in our area. She is proud of her progress and for the first time is pulling me outside to pitch every night.

Here is a before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjnZiWIwMpA&feature=youtu.be

And a current (This is a video of her at warm ups... rushed but better).. More work to do but much improved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHPVaBjN88U

Jun 22, 2014
She looks much better. My daughter takes lessons from a Tincher instructor too. If you continue with the Tincher instructor, her drive mechanics will continue to improve. Our instructor doesn't emphasize the I/R mechanics. I supplement with things I find here on the Forum like Rich Balswick videos.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Thanks for the feedback!
Her coach teaches Palm down finish.

when you look at her pitching does it look like she is naturally winding up with her palm down or do you see it as being forced? I ask because when I think of a finish, I see a non teach, I see it as something you look for to have an idea of upstream actions. Her palm down finish looks like it is just tacked on at the end, long after the pitch is gone.

Apr 28, 2014
when you look at her pitching does it look like she is naturally winding up with her palm down or do you see it as being forced? I ask because when I think of a finish, I see a non teach, I see it as something you look for to have an idea of upstream actions. Her palm down finish looks like it is just tacked on at the end, long after the pitch is gone.

That's a great point.
I will take a look at her tonight when we practice. It seemed like it was at 9:00 then flipped down.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I haven't downloaded and slo motionedd your video, but from my viewing, I think her natural finish is fine and shows that she is internally rotating, I just hate seeing any useless motions coached into players. With pitchers there are so many important mechanical things to focus on that actually affect the pitch that worrying about having a perfectly palm down finish is just another thing to think about. My real pet peeve along these lines is seeing outfielders do a crazy high bicycle kick version of a crow hop instead of a quick, natural athletic crow hop.

Jun 19, 2013
Looks like she has been working hard. It may be because this is a warm up as you said, and that she was hurrying, so maybe in normal pitching she doesn't take that step when she starts her pitch . . .

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Ray gave me some valuable feedback, which at the time, was hard to hear

She, with your help, did all the work. She deserves all the credit...I don't deserve any. G

JJ makes a good point. She will become more natural as she becomes more experienced.

Generally, your DD is the kind of kid that makes me proud to be associated with this group. Parents can come here and get real advice based upon facts and logic rather than the crap that is floating around out there. Guys like JJ, Java, BM and RP have really made this discussion board something exceptional.

I know we don't always agree. The arguments and the disagreements are part of the process of really getting to the nuts and bolts of pitching.

Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad