12/31 Bday Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2011
menomonee falls, wi
I'm just looking for some opinions on a 12/31/1998 Birthday. DD is locked in and totally committed to a 14U B club, so it really means nothing other than I would like some opinions. From what I understand she has to play 14U this year. Let's say she was born at 5pm on the 31st, would there not be an argument that at 12:00am on the 31st she is technically still 12??

Mom asked me about this on the way home from practice last night and I didn't have an answer for her so I thought I'd ask here. Half of her team is 9th graders, the other half is 8th, she is in 7th. Is that fair to her or anyone with a birthday late in the year, not really. Do I think she has 14U A skill level, not yet but getting there. Would another year of 12U help her out, absolutely not with the tournys our club plays. Is she looking forward to the challange ahead of her this year, ABSOLUTELY!! Am I mad I have to wait until June 1st for our first tourny????? YES

Back to the subject. I understand you have to draw a line somewhere, but shouldn't the 12/31 Bday's and maybe within a few weeks, have a choice to play down?? Or any other suggestions on age rules???

BTW, I can't wait for MTR to chime in!!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
OK. Correct, she is the youngest league age 13 yo on her team. Unfortunately, you have to set the age cutoff somewhere, and someone will always be in that position. Some rec leagues might let a kid play down during a regular season, but come tournament time, and in TB, those dates are set in stone, otherwise they are setting themselves up for all sorts of trouble.

Jun 24, 2011
menomonee falls, wi
I totally understand the line has to be drawn somewhere and I have no problem with her playing 14U. But think about this. TB season starts here in June, due to HS season. If a girl has a 1/97 Bday, she is actually 15 1/2 when TB season starts and is eligible for 14U? Too Funny!!

Jul 28, 2008
That's where Premier's setup is a bit better. They have a HS league that only requires you to be in high school

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD is in the same boat. 12/18/98 BD and the youngest on her 14U team, the only 7th grader on a team of 9th graders that won't start tournaments until June. The coach has given his ok for her to guest in April and May. She's ok to guest but didn't want to have to play rec to get some game time in. That scheduled C section seemed ok at the time....LOL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma