11U DS pitching vid - feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 30, 2011
I’m teaching my 10 yr old son to pitch. No pitching coaches in this part of the world so just learning by dvds, youtube and this excellent forum. We had a slight change of direction a month ago after reading the IR thread (my head still hurts).
We have been practicing 2 to 3 times a week since February and just looking for some feedback on his technique.

One problem we are having trouble correcting is he has a tendency to pitch to the right so if he was pitching to a right handed batter he would hit the batter probably 50% of his pitches or more. From the front his legs look good and right on the power line.

Not throwing many strikes at the moment but our season starts in October so we still have a few months to try and sort things out and hopefully start to get some consistency.

Cheers

Mar 13, 2010
Are you Kiwi or Aussie? (it's his uniform!)

First off, get a pitching plate underneath him. He needs it there to get used to it.

Secondly, he's leaping. Is that legal with men. I always forget. (it's at .14 of the second video)

I think part of his problem with going to the right is that when he does his pre-motion he always goes so far to the left that he tries to correct himself. (and I KNOW he's copying the men there. It's a common motion for them to turn to the side ;) ) I would encourage the straight up and down motion at first just until he's got his accuracy and is consistent. Then worry about how to change it.

I know Ray will come in and talk about him keeping his body back but he explains it SO much better than I do (and with pictures! Though he might not have many of the men. Adam Folkard and Adam Humble are the two best pitchers in Aus right now, even if Adam has stepped back from international play as they have made a rule making his action illegal!)

Good luck!

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hi Egor.

First off, hang an old glove on that fence where 'HIS' strike zone would be, give him a target to focus on.

Secondly, keep that pivot foot toe in contact with the ground, That will help keep him a little bit open where he is closing too much right now.

Have him make the old 'Peace sign' with the index and middle finger. When he releases the ball, make sure the palm is facing upwards and the 'Peace sign, is pointing straight at the target. It will be down low but pointing straight at his target.

Hal

Mar 30, 2011
Im a kiwi. You know I didnt even notice this until I filmed him from behind so we are changing the pre-motion sequence, cheers

Are you Kiwi or Aussie? (it's his uniform!)

I think part of his problem with going to the right is that when he does his pre-motion he always goes so far to the left that he tries to correct himself.
Good luck!

Mar 30, 2011
Thanks for the advice Hal, we will have a go at the next training

Hi Egor.

Have him make the old 'Peace sign' with the index and middle finger. When he releases the ball, make sure the palm is facing upwards and the 'Peace sign, is pointing straight at the target. It will be down low but pointing straight at his target.

Hal

Mar 13, 2010
Im a kiwi. You know I didnt even notice this until I filmed him from behind so we are changing the pre-motion sequence, cheers

That's the joy of video or even a new set of eyes!

My best advice is ask other, more experienced coaches/pitchers to have a look. A fresh set of eyes does wonders. I can't tell you how many times I've bit my lip when watching pitchers. I've only jumped in once and that was for my club and I went to her mum!

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24