11 yo daughter, any comments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
BoardMember offers good advice in his post. If she wants to be a pitcher, I would seek out a proven PC. The advice your former PC is giving you over the phone may be good, but without actually seeing her makes it almost impossible to offer proper instruction without knowing exactly what she is doing. If you don't fully understand the advice being offered by your PC, you very well could be doing more harm than good and create bad habits that are harder to break the longer she practices them.IMO.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
First off, why is she pitching in what appears to be a ditch? She could seriously hurt herself. She needs somewhere flat to pitch. It does appear that she has created that crater to the side herself, but at one point her foot goes way below the rest of her body.

She's got talent.

Feb 24, 2010
Yes, get a good PC. DD has not been able to get to hers due to games, and it's showing. I know what she's doing wrong, but I can't tell her what to do to fix it. And I agree with Lozza - she does have talent.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
Im not a pitching coach but her glove arm is swimming (not pointing at catcher) and I prefer to drag the toe to toward catcher (show her your laces) instead of the banana but thats a personal style. Shes got a lot of potential. Eric

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would rather have her practice in the parking lot or drive way, rather than that mess of grass she is standing in. No one can pitch in that. If you own the property make it into a practice lane for her. I am betting with grass like that, you could dig it out, in an hour.

Film her at the field and I will take another look at her.

Bill Hillhouse's DVDs would be a good place to start for her.

May 20, 2010
quick q....
is that bill hillhouse dvd the top video you would recommend to beginning pitchers? i have a 7 year old that is interested in pitching and need something to get her rolling. i was just going to go with the set from John Tschida but if the bill hillhouse dvd is more recommended, then i'll just grab the other two and hillhouse for pitching?

thanks!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, I use Denny Throneburge's VHS tape, but I have been told that it is no longer available. I have Building The House, by Bill Hillhouse and I can recommend it, too.

If you want to PM me, I can walk you through the beginning motions that I use, with the girls down on one knee.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00