11 y/o swing from behind the plate...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
Can of worms opened and spilled all over lol...

Do you really think Yee is doing what is being demonstrated in the video?

Fusing the torso is terrible advice....

Ray, you know I respect your opinion. As you know my DD started out with an all arms swing. Fused torso was one of the queues we used to try and get the bat out of her arms and used the bigger muscle groups to power her swing. I also don't compare what TM is demonstrating in the video, over exaggerating movements to make a point, to a live swing. What I believe he was trying to help us with when he described a fused torso was to eliminate DD circling her arm/shoulder to get the bat on plane, versus using her upper body correctly to get the bat on plane, at least that is how I used the information.

Knights, How do you direct the barrel towards and through the ball IF your scap is fused to the torso?

I have my DD turn the triangle, with as little arm action as possible, and try to get palm-up/palm-down at or near her rear shoulder as she is tilting appropriately based upon pitch location.

Keep in mind, I am sharing what I believe has helped us navigate through what the OP is going through. I am not trying to throw out information to mess up the OP's DD. If the information I provided and how we used it needs further explanation let me know.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
The whole "getting the bat on plane" thing is so over played, don't you think? The fact is, the ball is hit on a slight upswing. Most of the effort that takes place prior to the swing, involves getting the barrel down to the ball. Yet we continue to see asinine videos of numbskulls slipping the hip and popping the front shoulder before GO... LOL

R

RayR

Hey Knight - you're a good guy and in this for the right reasons. But, taking the arms out the equation and fusing the torso are not the same thing.

It's just a different version of connection and will ruin a swing.

I am rooting for Olivia and think that this swing should be looked at again. I thought this was headed in the right direction

sqrz.gif

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
ru.gif
9p2.gif

The comp is meant to show the differences in how the barrel gets loaded into the swing.

My #1 thing to change would be the top hand angle between the handle and forearm... That would be an easy fix and would assist in helping to turn the barrel correctly. The amount of radial deviation in that swing allows for no barrel load and ALL push.

Aug 8, 2010
My #1 thing to change would be the top hand angle between the handle and forearm... That would be an easy fix and would assist in helping to turn the barrel correctly. The amount of radial deviation in that swing allows for no barrel load and ALL push.

Explain what you mean by the radial deviation in dummy terms.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
casedawg51DD.gif

Beside this, I'd also get her into the habit of pointing the knob at the catchers feet while in her stance.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

I see what you are saying here.

IMO she needs to learn to "turn the barrel" and learn to get on plane as she turns the barrel ... and with that will come increased swing speed as well.

As it stands now she is performing a "leveling process", i.e., lowering her hands to get on plane with the ball, during her "reading of the pitch". This is a poor leveling process that needs to be eliminated. She needs to learn to trust her hands ... and understand that the hands are "sensors" ... and that she can better get on plane with the ball as she "turns the barrel".

2u46jbd.gif

R

RayR

Agree here -

Unless you are hitting off the tee - how can you get on plane early?

Hit a moving ball as much as possible.

Hip slip does not lead to hip (lower back) rotation in any meaningful way...#Stall

The whole "getting the bat on plane" thing is so over played, don't you think? The fact is, the ball is hit on a slight upswing. Most of the effort that takes place prior to the swing, involves getting the barrel down to the ball. Yet we continue to see asinine videos of numbskulls slipping the hip and popping the front shoulder before GO... LOL

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Here is another example of utilizing the spine engine.. Jen's up front actions are causing the barrel to be released behind her.. IOW's Jen is creating some pre-stretch actions before this clip starts, and then releasing the stretch to begin the sequence upper and lower.

This young girl is using her arms to level out the swing because she lacks the up front pre stretch actions to get the swing in sequence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse