11 y/o swing from behind the plate...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

And the lack of up front actions lead the arm to the usage (dropping hands) that leads to the hip slip / slide. Compare Yee's belt loop facing us compared to the other hitters shirt line as they swing. One is actually rising while the other falling.

Dec 11, 2010
Howe says:
My #1 thing to change would be the top hand angle between the handle and forearm... That would be an easy fix and would assist in helping to turn the barrel correctly. The amount of radial deviation in that swing allows for no barrel load and ALL push.

No kidding? Check her grip! It still looks to me that her top hand has the bat in her palm. Nobody else can see that? Have her grip between fingers and hand, use something like the Easton Turboslot gloves so she can't cheat you until she has the Aha! moment. Bat will stand up, you probably won't even have to tell her to point the knob at the catchers feet, and she won't level it. When she doesn't level the bat, she can turn the barrel, her lower half works right and good things happen. Check her grip! If I'm wrong, you guys can keep on with all this other stuff.

R

RayR

Westwind - I am all for whatever micro isolation works to get a player into a better sequence. But, will gloves change the fact that she has her hands in launch position too early? Maybe, maybe not.

The new jargon you are reading is being advocated somewhere else and not from anyone that is posting here (at least I don't think). It's a bandaid cure for not getting the upfront action correct.

Sequence_zpse47c0ce6.gif

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I very well might be wrong about the grip but it looks very, very familiar to me.

The gloves are totally a bandaid. They get you by until she forms the new good habit. They do work when used correctly tho. My dd hates gloves... It did help us.

I agree that there is more than one thing going on, but if I am right about the grip, you can move on to the other stuff as needed.

Edited to add: To answer your question, really think that if you fix the grip it will help the other things fall into place. It makes the bat stand up as the swing initiates.

I also took my snotty comment out, I'm just a visitor to the tech hitting section, don't really belong here!

Last edited:
R

RayR

It's all good. You could've left your comment in. There is much worse being said somewhere out there in the virtual I am sure.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Howe says:
My #1 thing to change would be the top hand angle between the handle and forearm... That would be an easy fix and would assist in helping to turn the barrel correctly. The amount of radial deviation in that swing allows for no barrel load and ALL push.

No kidding? Check her grip! It still looks to me that her top hand has the bat in her palm. Nobody else can see that? Have her grip between fingers and hand, use something like the Easton Turboslot gloves so she can't cheat you until she has the Aha! moment. Bat will stand up, you probably won't even have to tell her to point the knob at the catchers feet, and she won't level it. When she doesn't level the bat, she can turn the barrel, her lower half works right and good things happen. Check her grip! If I'm wrong, you guys can keep on with all this other stuff.

Per the bold above. IMO, Pretty important point right there. Maintain that angle while working the handle in the hands. Also work to maintain a tighter V with the rear arm as She comes around the corner. Right now that angle slips into a lazy L as was pointed out earlier.
Plus She may be holding the handle too deeply in Her palm which also can cause problems.
WEST, Removing snotty remarks? No way! Your opinion matters as does your emotions. Let it rip. ;)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Explain what you mean by the radial deviation in dummy terms.

In simple terms ... it is about the top hand wrist 'becoming' 'bent' and 'loaded' in the later stages of the swing prior to the top hand becoming fired/released.

It isn't like Yen isn't having her top hand wrist 'becoming' extended and radially deviated .... that occurs for her as well ... hers is simply performed in a much better sequence, whereas the other girl here omits the "turning of the barrel" and simply goes for this earlier on.

9k2z9w.jpg

R

RayR

I understand why it is easier to focus on the micro issues - but get the sequence correct and save yourself some trouble.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Ray tds you both said "the correct upfront action"...what is "correct upfront action?"

R

RayR

It's a coiling move without IR of the rear leg. the result is a lateral bending of the spine and hopefully some sort of bat tipping (does not need to be enormous) but will require the hitter to load the barrel later as the hips start to open as part of the sequence.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse