10YR Old Ready To Shut-it Down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2016
As a dad of a 10YO who pitches i realized that i was pushing too hard doing 3 days a week. 4-5 is a bit much. I backed way off and made it fun. I ask her if she wants me to sit on the bucket and if she says yes, i do. If not we go kayaking or something along those lines. It's hard not to get wrapped up in softball, especially pitching, but end of the day a 10YO is a 10YO.

Jul 25, 2015
It pisses me off because it discounts how much it means to the kids and families who are in the middle of it. Clearly, no future coach will give a damn that my DD's 8U rec all-star team won the District Championship title 3 years ago. To the 12 kids that busted their @$$ all summer learning new skills, and giving every bit of their effort to win those games, it meant a great deal. To the people who say that an 8yo doesn't know/care if they've won the game (I've heard/read that a lot), I call BS on that, too. My kid and her teammates knew very well when they won or lost. Three years later, that little District Championship trophy on the shelf among her other trophies is still one of the ones my DD is most proud of. Not because of what it means to everyone else, but because of what it meant to her, and how much effort she put in to earning it.

I agree that some parents tend to push their kids too hard, or put them in a situation where the coaches are demanding too much, or focus too much on winning. That certainly happens far more than it should, and I've seen it happen with a few of my DD's former teammates from rec ball who jumped into TB looking for a "top" team rather than one where there is more emphasis on player development. Some of those players have now quit the game. Those stories break my heart. TB doesn't have to be that way, and not every team is that way.

"Just let them have fun..." What do you do with the kids that have clearly outgrown the rec league? For some kids, not being challenged becomes boring in a hurry. It starts to lose the "fun" when you have to hold your game back because your teammates are afraid to catch your throws. For some kids, being challenged and being successful when their limits are being pushed is what makes the game fun.

My approach is this...I want to give my DD the opportunity to reach her goals. They are her goals, and this is her journey. My job is to guide (not push) her down the road, and do my best to keep the doors open ahead of her. If she decides to change her goals, or change her road completely, that's fine. We may have some discussion about a specific decision, and DW and I may offer our guidance or opinions, but ultimately the decision on how she moves forward is my DD's - even things as small as how much work she does outside of the team.

I would suggest some anger management for yourself but that would probably piss you off as well....

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
For some kids, being challenged and being successful when their limits are being pushed is what makes the game fun.

That isn't the point. Dragging 12U, 10U and 8U kids off to some god forsaken dog run 40 weekends out of the year is pretty ridiculous.

Kids need to be exposed to the arts, science and sports. (Guess what? A kid can "push their limits" just as much playing a trombone as fielding a softball.)

The greatest line in a sports movie is, "If I'd only gotten to be a doctor for five minutes... now that would have been a tragedy." How can the child discover if she is a concert pianist? Or a brain surgeon? Or a physicist? Or an actor? How can she discover her talents?

For 99% of the girls, softball ends at 22YOA. And, unlike other sports, when fastpitch softball ends...it ENDS. Then, the kid has to get on with her life.

There was another parent I got into the same debate. His DD became a super softball player, much better than my kid. She got a scholarship to a PAC 10 school...she lasted one year and moved home.

You have to let the kids see what else is out there, and what else they can do. Once a kid gets an idea about what is available, and then she picks softball...great! If not, life goes on.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2012
Illinois
Honestly I do not know what will happen. She is a big part of the team as she is the "#1". She is on the team to pitch and that's about the extent of it. I'm not sure if cutting at home practices out completely will cause her pitching to fall off or not.
I didn't read every response in the thread, but this struck me right away. No way in he** should a 10U player be stuck with pitching only. She needs to play other positions, as well as practice other positions. No wonder she's "bored with softball and bored with pitching". And no, as has been stated already, time off will not cause her pitching to fall off. It's 10U, let her be 10.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
That isn't the point. Dragging 12U, 10U and 8U kids off to some god forsaken dog run 40 weekends out of the year is pretty ridiculous.

Kids need to be exposed to the arts, science and sports. (Guess what? A kid can "push their limits" just as much playing a trombone as fielding a softball.)

The greatest line in a sports movie is, "If I'd only gotten to be a doctor for five minutes... now that would have been a tragedy." How can the child discover if she is a concert pianist? Or a brain surgeon? Or a physicist? Or an actor? How can she discover her talents?

For 99% of the girls, softball ends at 22YOA. And, unlike other sports, when fastpitch softball ends...it ENDS. Then, the kid has to get on with her life.

There was another parent I got into the same debate. His DD became a super softball player, much better than my kid. She got a scholarship to a PAC 10 school...she lasted one year and moved home.

You have to let the kids see what else is out there, and what else they can do. Once a kid gets an idea about what is available, and then she picks softball...great! If not, life goes on.

I don't disagree with this at all, sluggers. I never intended to imply that softball is the only place my DD (or anyone's DD) can push her limits. I've spent time as a competitive athlete and a performing musician. I'm certainly aware that there are lots of places and directions one can challenge themselves. This is a softball site, so we tend to talk about softball, and what our kids do on the field. For a lot DFP'ers, softball is a place where our DDs have shown an heightened level of skill and interest. Just because that's all I tend to talk about on DFP doesn't mean that's all that my DD does. She loves to compete. She's a natural athlete, and would probably be good at lots of sports, but she fell in love with softball and wants to see how good she can be in that arena. I see nothing wrong with that, and will be there to assist her as long as she still wants to pursue it. If she decides to go after something else, I will be there to support that, too. She also loves music (spent a little time with piano and flute, fooling around with drums, just starting school vocals), and is figuring out how to do some new tricks on her skateboard. She enjoys writing and science. She's ahead of the curve with math...but doesn't really enjoy it. So far, nothing has attracted her passion as much as softball. I made it clear to both of my DDs from an early age - if they decide they want to do an activity (sports, music, dance, whatever), I will support it, and my willingness to buy good gear, provide private instruction, etc. will be a direct reflection of how much effort they put into the activity.

Jan 14, 2015
To the OP. Recognize that softball has become "work" for your daughter, and at 10yo it should not be, so it needs to be fixed.

There are a couple of requirements for a young player to develop, one of those requirements is enjoyment and genuine happiness while playing; whether it's a sport or a particular class in school. When you genuinely enjoy what your doing or studying you will perform and develop much easier than if it's a chore. Somewhere along the line softball became a chore to her, it became too much to a point it felt like work, and "work" is a 4-letter word.

Use this experience to educate your daughter about how things like this can happen in life. Sometimes you set goals for the future, you put a plan in place and somewhere along the way it goes awry, and you end up in an unpredictable situation. No biggie. Teach her not to focus on what went wrong, but how to fix the situation and keep moving forward. Explain to her that it's important to try and keep the commitment to fall ball as part of that plan. Also, explain to her she is too young to quit on softball, or anything in life. She has a natural talent and ability to pitch, don't let her give up on it. Talk with her about a more natural year-round program that will help her develop, while still being 10 years old, 11 years old, 12 years old, etc.

My daughter was a pitcher, and I think there are a few parents on here with DD's that pitch too. All of us will tell you different schedules we maintained over each 12 months rotation. But the one thing in common we all had, was that the schedule was one our daughter could handle and enjoyed; and quite often it was modified from one year to another to accommodate school and social life.

What you're dealing with is pretty normal, it's Life, Life happens! For all we know she wants to stay your little girl, and maybe she feels that is slipping away. Forget about the past, focus on now and beyond.

Hope all turns out well.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She loves to compete. She's a natural athlete, and would probably be good at lots of sports, but she fell in love with softball and wants to see how good she can be in that arena. I see nothing wrong with that, and will be there to assist her as long as she still wants to pursue it.

You are a role model...that is the way people should approach sports. It is so easy sucked into any of these sports. Everyone thinks there child is the second-coming of Jenny Finch, and it is very unlikely it is going to happen.

My DD#1, believe it or not, was a really fine clarinetist. In HS, she couldn't be "really good" at the clarinet and softball. She cut back on the clarinet, but continued to play through HS. She focused on softball. She still loves music.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
You are a role model...that is the way people should approach sports. It is so easy sucked into any of these sports. Everyone thinks there child is the second-coming of Jenny Finch, and it is very unlikely it is going to happen.

I have no desire for my DD to become the "next Jennie Finch". Jennie Finch wasn't a catcher ;)

My DD#1, believe it or not, was a really fine clarinetist. In HS, she couldn't be "really good" at the clarinet and softball. She cut back on the clarinet, but continued to play through HS. She focused on softball. She still loves music.

I'm not surprised at all. Understanding the effort and work ethic it takes to get better at something carries over to many, many different parts of life. It's one of the great lessons that comes with pursuing activities at an advanced level.

Dec 27, 2014
To the OP, good luck! I know as the bucket dad of my 10 year old there are few things I enjoy as much as catching her or watching her compete at lessons, with team mates and at games. As good as she is, at 10, I don't have any expectations she will play in college, or even how long she plays for. I just try to stress the lessons learned in the game can be transferred to all walks of life - even for a 10 year old. :)

Still, I find myself pushing too hard sometimes. Is too easy to get caught up with looking at how far she has come, and want more. I know a lot of parents that get too caught up. Most of us are able to learn, evolve our expectations to be in line with what is best for our particular kids.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse