10yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The biggest focus right now is getting her to keep her hands from dropping as she strides. This has been part of her hitting pattern since she started playing, and it's been a very tough nut to crack. We have been working a lot on reinforcing the top hand swivel action, but it's not showing up against live pitching yet. Her low hand-set is leading to a lot of fly balls, but it leaves her very vulnerable to pitches up in the zone.

Any progress on Maddie's hand path?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
We have put a lot of focus on "rock the U" and launching from the rear shoulder this week. She made a lot of swings at letter-high pitches, which is a big weakness because of her low launch position. I'm seeing some improvements, but I didn't get any new video.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
RBI single to the left side...

We haven't made any earth-shattering progress in her mechanics (plenty of issues with this swing), but her confidence and aggressiveness in the box has definitely improved, and it's showing in her results. Yesterday, she went 3-for-3 with 3 RBIs. Her BA through 10 games is up to .563, and her team is 9-0-1.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Can someone explain to me the love for the "Rock the U" idea?

For Maddie, the cue is about getting the hands up and back, while keeping a bend in the front elbow, rather than down and back with an arm bar. It's a lesson that hasn't been fully integrated into her swing yet, though. It should be a reaction to the rear elbow pulling rearward (away from the opposite batter's box, not towards the catcher), with a tightening of the scap.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Maddie is a great player, and works hard at improving her game. That Eric guy works with her alot ;)

Thanks, my friend! We're trying to keep up with your DD. :)

(SyndreSoftball has been Maddie's coach on almost every team she's played on, and is the HC of her current team. His DD is a powerful and gifted player in every aspect of the game, and a big part of the team's success.)

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Eric,
I'm a little concerned about the rear leg.
vQJAM8.gif

Sorry I don't have a better gif maker.
I notice something with the rear leg on the video of 'first at bat'. Something to discuss with Maddie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877