10yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2012
For Maddie, the cue is about getting the hands up and back, while keeping a bend in the front elbow, rather than down and back with an arm bar. It's a lesson that hasn't been fully integrated into her swing yet, though. It should be a reaction to the rear elbow pulling rearward (away from the opposite batter's box, not towards the catcher), with a tightening of the scap.

Okay, you said what I was thinking. The whole "rock the U" thing is a result of the scap pinch. I really hope nobody has been teaching to turn the front shoulder down and in actively.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric,
I'm a little concerned about the rear leg.
vQJAM8.gif

Sorry I don't have a better gif maker.
I notice something with the rear leg on the video of 'first at bat'. Something to discuss with Maddie.

I saw it, too. It will get addressed. Our focus has been on improving hand action, but I need to keep an eye on other issues, so they don't get out of control.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I saw it, too. It will get addressed. Our focus has been on improving hand action, but I need to keep an eye on other issues, so they don't get out of control.

Correct, just didn't want you to miss something as you're focus on something else. I know Maddie is in good hands.

Aug 28, 2012
Go get in your stance. From there, "pinch your scap". Are your hands higher or lower than where they started?

Oct 25, 2009
Okay, you said what I was thinking. The whole "rock the U" thing is a result of the scap pinch. I really hope nobody has been teaching to turn the front shoulder down and in actively.

As the u is rocked I feel the scap pinch. The rock the u is not caused by the scap pinch, though.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Can someone explain to me the love for the "Rock the U" idea?

Yes...that's easy...because she's 10 and she can understand it...now folks need to be careful about how this fits into the sequence but a 10 year old is not going to understand forward by coil, turn the barrel, external rotation, or any of the other esoteric terms used here.

Heck, if we had the ability to take a poll here, I would suspect that at least 1/4 of the people here don't understand turning the barrel. In fact, there were some folks here who clarified it for me as I understood it...CP

Hitting theory and mechanics is great discussion but worthless if you the mom\dad\coach can't translate it to the DD or player. A 10 year old

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Hitting theory and mechanics is great discussion but worthless if you the mom\dad\coach can't translate it to the DD or player. A 10 year old

THAT is the challenge. I continue to work on building my understanding of swing mechanics, but the hardest part of all is figuring out how to get the dots connected in my DD's head so she can feel it and - most importantly - execute it in a game situation. Some stuff is a step forward. Some stuff isn't. The hope is that for every step backwards, there are at least two forwards.

Aug 28, 2012
THAT is the challenge. I continue to work on building my understanding of swing mechanics, but the hardest part of all is figuring out how to get the dots connected in my DD's head so she can feel it and - most importantly - execute it in a game situation. Some stuff is a step forward. Some stuff isn't. The hope is that for every step backwards, there are at least two forwards.

So did the hands end up higher or lower when you "pinched the scap"?

Aug 28, 2012
Noon...

Trick question?

Higher or lower in relation to what?

CP

Not trying to trick.. just polling the gen pop on the cue.... and what it does for them. See original question:

"Go get in your stance. From there, "pinch your scap". Are your hands higher or lower than where they started?"

If it makes you feel better, add a third option... stays the same.

Just curious.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1