10U swinging a 34/25

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

N2U

Sep 9, 2016
You must of been so proud seeing her hit that bomb, congrats!

Just curious, if she hit the ball 230ft with the Xeno 32/21 why does she need a different bat? Can't argue with that result. My daughter as well was using a heavier bat this year with no effect on bat speed, her coach thought she could handle it, no problem. However something did not look right to me. With faster pitchers she couldn't hit the letter high pitches and she was unable to adjust/correct to other pitches. I told the coach, my wife and my daughter that the bat is too heavy for her, they all disagreed, of course. Finally I proved to my daughter she would be more effective with a lighter bat, I bought the bat the next day. She used it in her grand championships and was fantastic, coach asked what took me so long to buy her a new bat, LOL.

Point is, why change? Obviously she handles the 31/20 well

She may not change she may ride out the fall ball with her 32". That homerun was off of a high pitch the previous pitch was perfect down the plate I gave her a what are you waiting for look??? She told me afterwards "Dad I knew that HR pitch was high but it was like slow motion so I said I'm just gonna go for it"

Nov 18, 2013
She may not change she may ride out the fall ball with her 32". That homerun was off of a high pitch the previous pitch was perfect down the plate I gave her a what are you waiting for look??? She told me afterwards "Dad I knew that HR pitch was high but it was like slow motion so I said I'm just gonna go for it"

Congrats on her OTF HR. I'm glad you're considering a bat that's closer to the right size for her. There's a couple of things I think you should think about in regards to the big bat. There is no way she would have taken a high pitch out of the park with that 34/25. She was able to do that because of her bat speed and that the bat wasn't so heavy as to make her swings drop down. Also keep in mind most of girls her age are playing 12U now and seeing faster pitching. If she was using the big bat she wouldn't be able to catch up to with the ball. As others have said your DD has a ton of potential and a bright future. Dont get fooled that her HR justifies the 34/25.

N2U

Sep 9, 2016
Take her out on a 275 or 300' field and measure how far she hits the ball.
How tall is she?

She's 5'5" that would be a good idea to do later on right now she's not looking to beat Canseco's 572ft softball HR blast ��. She wanted to hit a true HR sometime during fall ball she happened to do it in her first game, first at bat, second pitch the topper was her little 8 year old sister was on first base so pretty memorable moment they got to share together!

May 12, 2016
On the opposite end of the spectrum, N2U's DD's other bat is a 32/21. My 12yo, 5'-2", 115lb DD swings a 32/22. Personally, I'm a believe in the right size bat for hitters of all ages and sizes.

My 12yo is 5'2", 105lbs and swings a 31/20, it works for her, maximum control and has no problem hitting with power. I know we have resources like bat size charts.etc, To each, is own I say, resources are good guidelines, but you don't really know until she tests it out. All the same 34/25 seems a bit extreme for that age.

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
DD is wanting to have fun this fall staying on 10U she wants a bigger bat so i bought her a RockeTech 34/25 to practice with and she is handling it very well swears it feels lighter than her Xeno 32/21.

Hi N2U,

Just so you know that most adult men swing a bat somewhere in the 34/28 range. I don't think there are many adult women in that 34/25 range. A +2/+4 at any age is a pretty big difference. Periodically moving up a bat size in small increments as needed is probably the most preferred option. Just be careful with preventable injuries.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
My DD is 10 and hit a grand slam almost to the fence last weekend with her 30/20. She's tall for her age though only about 85 pounds. I was just talking to DH about what a strange animal hitting is. On our first 10U team there was a girl who was teeny tiny and one of the best hitters around. She must have the most amazing hand eye coordination. The kid NEVER strikes out and after her first few tournaments was hitting for power too, this tiny thing with her 30/19 bat (I love this child and root for her and the rest of her team all the time...but I can't help but hope for the day DD becomes one of the few pitchers who can strike her out!). Then sometimes you'll see a girl come up who's really big and you back up all your outfielders and she can't get it out of the infield.

May 12, 2016
Hi julray,

Just so you know that most adult men swing a bat somewhere in the 34/28 range. I don't think there are many adult women in that 34/25 range. A +2/+4 at any age is a pretty big difference. Periodically moving up a bat size in small increments as needed is probably the most preferred option. Just be careful with preventable injuries.

Umm... I think you got the wrong person there mate, :). But I do agree with what you are saying.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06