10U swinging a 34/25

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

N2U

Sep 9, 2016
Thank you! She hit from the opposite field with no markers on the fence I'll measure it one of these days to know for sure.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I think the points that were initially being made, and may have become lost, are that: 1) her swing mechanics, regardless of bat size, will not consistently produce successful results against better pitching; and, 2) if the new hitting coach you are seeing is not: a) working on a drastic change in mechanics and/or b: telling her that she shouldn't be swinging a 34" RT, then you need to find another hitting coach immediately.

As a follow up to point 1, with her apparent strength and skills, she may be able to get away with her current swing mechanics through 14U and likely even 16U. And that would be a travesty because when she hits that wall, she will hit it abruptly and may not have the chance to rebuild the swing and confidence in time to regain the success she had previously become accustomed to. IMO, the sooner she commits to sacrificing short-term results to ingrain high-level swing mechanics, the greater and longer-lasting will be the success that she ultimately can achieve. Suck it up and fix it now!

Nov 25, 2012
USA
I think the points that were initially being made, and may have become lost, are that: 1) her swing mechanics, regardless of bat size, will not consistently produce successful results against better pitching; and, 2) if the new hitting coach you are seeing is not: a) working on a drastic change in mechanics and/or b: telling her that she shouldn't be swinging a 34" RT, then you need to find another hitting coach immediately.

As a follow up to point 1, with her apparent strength and skills, she may be able to get away with her current swing mechanics through 14U and likely even 16U. And that would be a travesty because when she hits that wall, she will hit it abruptly and may not have the chance to rebuild the swing and confidence in time to regain the success she had previously become accustomed to. IMO, the sooner she commits to sacrificing short-term results to ingrain high-level swing mechanics, the greater and longer-lasting will be the success that she ultimately can achieve. Suck it up and fix it now!

Great point above and all over this board. Your DD looks like a baller and I commend you on that. BUT, I truly think her bat is way too big much like everyone else. I have a 14 year old (DD1) that swings a 32 and 33 drop 10. She is 5'8" and I still wonder if the 33 is too big. Of course, she is a pitcher, and her batting takes second stage but don't disregard the comments on this site. The folks here are HERE to help you out and not make fun or point out weakness. Some of the posters are absolute EXPERTS when it comes to batting so do yourself a favor and trust their comments. I promise your DD will excel because of it!!!

Mar 2, 2016
Ok I'm not try to be that guy...BUT

seems to me you are only concerned with how far she hit that shot and not concerned with the long term effects that swinging the wrong bat can have..Isn't the goal to have her hit that shot more often.....Again not trying to be that guy, BUT give her the right tools to work with and you will see that shot more often...I think it is fantastic that she hit a "moon Shot" 230 feet but wouldn't you like to see more often. I hope she is the next Crystal Bustos but get her the right tools to do her job..like they say ....you cant make bread without flour..Just my .02

Jun 8, 2016
Ok I'm not try to be that guy...BUT

seems to me you are only concerned with how far she hit that shot and not concerned with the long term effects that swinging the wrong bat can have..Isn't the goal to have her hit that shot more often.....Again not trying to be that guy, BUT give her the right tools to work with and you will see that shot more often...I think it is fantastic that she hit a "moon Shot" 230 feet but wouldn't you like to see more often. I hope she is the next Crystal Bustos but get her the right tools to do her job..like they say ....you cant make bread without flour..Just my .02

I went back and re-read the first post and I guess he wasn't really asking for advice so I suppose his responses after this should not be surprising..

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Also something to keep in mind...I've seen it happen countless times where girls grow early, and are dominant in 10U because they are so much bigger and stronger than nearly every one else. They can get away with sub-par mechanics, and all the parents will rave about what an awesome player they are. However, as they move up in age groups, the smaller girls start catching up in size and strength. The smaller girl who had to learn proper mechanics at a younger age to be competitive will quickly blow by the girl who relied on only her size and strength.

May 12, 2016
I never once said she hit this HR with a 34/25 she did it with her Xeno 32/21 she has a hurt arm so I'm not letting her swing it anytime soon. But this hit did humble my rear with her needing a bigger bat thanks DFP!

You must of been so proud seeing her hit that bomb, congrats!

Just curious, if she hit the ball 230ft with the Xeno 32/21 why does she need a different bat? Can't argue with that result. My daughter as well was using a heavier bat this year with no effect on bat speed, her coach thought she could handle it, no problem. However something did not look right to me. With faster pitchers she couldn't hit the letter high pitches and she was unable to adjust/correct to other pitches. I told the coach, my wife and my daughter that the bat is too heavy for her, they all disagreed, of course. Finally I proved to my daughter she would be more effective with a lighter bat, I bought the bat the next day. She used it in her grand championships and was fantastic, coach asked what took me so long to buy her a new bat, LOL.

Point is, why change? Obviously she handles the 31/20 well

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I see in a post on page 2 that N2U has ordered a 34" LXT from Core. This might be okay for her, or it might still be a bit too big. Another factor besides size is coordination. A 10yo in a big body is still a 10yo, and doesn't necessarily have the fine-tuned coordination of a 14yo in the same size body.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06