10U Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2011
As a new coach and a 1st year travel team. I am wondering on how one should manage his pitchers. I have 3 pitchers do I go by innings/game or pitch count and what counts should I use as measuring stick. Thanks

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Sometimes it is hard to go by games when due to time limits, run rules and those dang long innings, so I try to go by pitch counts (80-120).

Feb 3, 2011
Are they all about equal in ability? Do they have different strengths and weaknesses vs different types of lineups? What are the goals of your program?

My 2011 TB team had 2 starters who pitched over 90% of the total innings. If we had a game in hand, I'd go to 1 of our backups. I allowed a reserve pitcher to start once, and it was tough getting out of the deficit, but we did come back to win. Player development in a moderately competitive environment was the primary goal of that team and we did achieve that. All those girls are back in spring rec.

This year, we'll carry 5 pitchers (just added 1), with a working plan to rotate them approximately every 3 innings. That's not set in stone, it's just a thought. The feeling is that we'll never have pitching issues in league games and we believe we'll be able to get deep in tournament play with that sort of depth. The goal of this 10u team will be to foster competitive player development by winning every game we play, as several of those girls will leave after the fall for full-time, competitive travel teams.

Unless you know what your team's goals are, it's tough to establish how you'll manage playing time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207