10U Pitching distance & high performance bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2015
Hi Everyone... I would like to get some thoughts on the use of high performance bats, specifically composite bats for girls playing in 10U divisions when the pitching distance is 35 feet. This has become a big debate in my town as we have had a few pitchers take line drives to the face do to the fact that they don't have time to react, by the time they release the ball and the velocity the ball is coming off these bats. Luckily, last year we instituted a rule that all pitchers in 10U leagues wear a face mask. Although the last pitcher that recently got hit had her mask broken into two, received a concussion & two black eyes.

I appreciate any information you can share with me on how everyone else is handling this issue.. & if there is any scientific data that demonstrates the difference between a composite bat & aluminum bat....Thank you.

Apr 22, 2015
N.C., USA
It hasn't been an issue for us in our Rec league... you must have some excellent hitters in yours. In fact in 4 games so far... only about 4 or 5 balls are even hit into the field with any velocity.

Feb 7, 2013
Instead of banning composite bats at 10U, I would look into using a safety ball (reduction in force ball). When DD played 10U, they used the 11inch Worth RIF Softdot in both rec league and ASA all-stars (districts, state, and nationals), you can still hit it hard but it will do less damage if you get hit with it. At 12U they move to the hard leather, 12inch Worth Dream Seam. Similar to your situation, anyone that pitched in the rec league had to wear a mask.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Ironically I think it is the better pitchers that might have the Issue, a batter gets the barrel of a good composite on a good fast ball and it is going 35’ fast. Batter doesn’t even need to swing.

I like the idea of a different ball if it is an Issue.

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
I think pitchers should wear masks well past 10u, but that is another thread. If its an epidemic then your league has exceptional hitters for rec ball as no matter what some may say you cannot simply stick the bat out and create that type of result. I do agree the bats are hot and for 10u rec maybe a look at different balls may be an option

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Our local rec league uses the RIF balls that Rocketech1 described up to 10U. You get a few good hitters and a few good pitchers in 10U REC around here, though. I think RIF balls should be used since they are at 35 feet.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have a hard time believing that a pitch hit back to the pitcher in 10U/35ft arrives much faster than at 14U/43ft. None the less as someone said tweak the ball not the bats or you will quickly lose players.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
We use the Worth RIF 1 in our 10U rec program and then switch to the harder ASA 11" ball (forget which brand) for the summer all-star teams.
We have some girls in the rec that I worry about even with the RIF, with the hard ones we could have some real injuries just playing catch as rec is a place for every girl to play regardless of skill level and some are more skilled than others.
Masks are not mandatory in our rec league but are strongly encouraged. The summer all-stars vary by coach, some of the coaches make them mandatory others they are optional.

Apr 22, 2015
N.C., USA
It is not all bad mechanics... but bad hops, bad throws, etc.

Mask are great for our 10U league... heck, we have had girls hit in the face just during warmups. I wish my teams would have had them 15 years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes