10U pitching coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
Watch out for forearm fire.

2qkjv3n.gif

No pain, no gain.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Only posted a couple of times. In my area, not a lot of pitching coaches. Found one I'm interested in and asked if they teach HE or i/R. Their response was that the I/R was really bad on the elbow. The coach is highly recommended and has been very successful. I know my daughter could learn a ton. I understand the fundamentals of I/R but had not seen any discussion on here about pitchers arm injuries. Is tennis elbow common? Why would I/R cause more injuries than a normal overhand throw? Again, i'm a noob and want to guide my daughter in the right direction. I want her to be as good as she desires to be, but don't want to do anything that will put undo stress on a growing body either.

If this were true, EVERY SINGLE softball player, and EVERY SINGLE baseball player would have arm injuries.
Because IR Is throwing, as you have stated correctly, the same arm dynamics that all infielders and outfielders use year round, all season.

Nov 4, 2015
Will keep looking and learning as much as I can here. Been watching hill house videos on YouTube. I like his views on pitching. Just not sure how well I can convey this to my daughter. Don't want her confused or frustrated.

Jun 29, 2013
Funny timing on this one. Took my DD to a lesson last week with a new instructor and the girl before her (someone I know) had the classic HE delivery. She didn't have it before, and was wondering if this is where she learned it. Then I found out this was her first visit,and the girl who threw after her (it's a looonnnggg story why I had to wait) had a much different delivery (hard to describe, but I did see the mule kick/Figure 4 finish). It turns out they were both new students and hadn't learned anything from the instructor, who didn't insist on either with my kid.

Jun 12, 2015
Funny, my PC moved to a farther location recently. She teaches I/R and we love her but ohhhh the drive. So I found someone closer to home and was asking some questions (there's a thread on here about it). She found out who my PC is and adamantly expressed that no! She did NOT teach that style and how crazy it is to turn your hand over when you pitch. lol She said she didn't know of ANY other PCs who taught like that. So yeah, we're just going to keep driving.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
You all might think this post is crazy, but there is some truth to the medical concerns.

Utilizing internal rotation mechanics allows a pitcher to fully chain energy to the ball. This is yet another reason that each person who converts should start out with isolation drills as a means to allow the body to adapt to the new mechanics... as there is no telling what underlying muscular deficiencies their old style of pitching created. Shoulder anatomy is all about stabilization... this is the primary purpose of our shoulder. Many kids who are HE are taught to clear the hips and create separation between the arm and the torso. When many of them convert to IR they still carry this clearing out trait. Internal rotation is as much about proximity and stabilization as it is anything else. If you add the power and speed that comes with internal rotation, stabilizing is a means of harnessing, and controlling, and executing this new found power properly.

Using a car analogy... utilizing internal rotation is like putting an 8-cylinder engine initially on a four cylinder frame. It is far superior... your car will run faster... but it's a good idea to make sure that the rest of the body is in a condition to handle your new hot rod.

I will always advocate board members drills... the way he has layed it out is the most sensible, safe, and effective way to learn it. As they say... its not a race... it's a marathon.

Hello elbow mechanics create recreational league pitchers... whereas internal rotation mechanics unlock the potential that an athlete can possess.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA