10 and Under Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
My girls just started pitching this year and I was wondering if I need to do a pitch count limit or just limit them to 1 inning per game, or am I just being overly cautious.

Feb 9, 2009
overly cautious.

My 10U pitched 3 games in a day a month ago....underly cautious.:eek:

a full game shouldn't be a big deal for these kids...

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I count my 10s that have been pitching a couple of years. I hope that they stay between 75-100 pitches.

It would all depend on the strength of your pitcher and you indicate that she is a 1st year. I would look at her after 50 pitches and if her mechanics are starting to break down, I would pull her.

That said, one inning a game isn't enough for her to build up any strength and experience.

I have girls pitch or practice 5 days out of 7. Some folks go more or less.

It is hard to say how many pitches she should throw, w/o knowing her. Does she have a pitching coach? That is who should be advising you.

Good luck and have fun. Post some video of her, if you want to.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Overly cautious. Try to get at least 3 innings out of them. Not stopping at 3 for physical reasons but because if they are just starting they will likely lose control and focus and fatigue after 3 with few acceptions.

A somewhat experienced 10U should be able to handle a full game. With mine I am drawing the line at two full games in a day and those not back to back.

Apr 13, 2010
Not necessarily a good thing but I've seen 10U pitchers go three games in a day. It really depends on the kid. They'll tell you if anything is wrong, or talk to the parents and see where they're at.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
3 games in a day is too much for 10U if they go over 4 innings. Don't risk an injury that will show up down the road to the shoulder to win a trophy and national birth for a ten year old. Pitching involves so many joints and muscle groups that there is always risk even when you are cautious. Don't take uneeded risks at such a young age.

Feb 9, 2009
yes...I wasn't smart.
Don't let them pitch three games. Luckily, she was good the next day, but she did sleep through most of it!!

May 25, 2010
But overuse injuries do not show up the day after the 3 games. Injuries build up and could show up 3 years later.

Mine wants to pitch every day, but she has a mandatory day off each week (the day after a hard lesson, I refuse to catch for her!) and then we usually end up with another day off as well.

Because she's so young and so eager to become great NOW, I always ensure several minutes of warm-up time and then limit the amount of time we spend on pitching. I don't see any point in becoming the greatest 8yo ever if her arm is all used up by the time she's 15.

We focus a lot on nutrition, but she doesn't take any vitamin supplements.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00