“The New Bats Are So Fragile”

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2021
We have a blue -8 Ghost. It's a hoss of a bat and the only bat she had used in the past couple years that has not broken. I have no doubt the weight makes a difference, but she also popped her wrist with it a couple years back and we thought she was going to have to miss her high school season. I think she was scared to swing it from then on and just stopped using it.

This is the first LS she has broken. Not sure what happened here, but I have seen some monster hitters swing LS bats with no problem. Hopefully its a fluke but I doubt it.

I think all in all Anna has broke either 4 or 5 LXT’s, they will always be my favorite bat!

Strange thing, for us at least, she used a 2018 Ghost for probably 15 months (?) and that bat is still fine! There’s no telling how many thousands of swings are on that bat, she’s 5’0” and 135lbs but she hits the ball hard, that bat probably has 10 game homers on it! It was used for BP, school ball practice everyday, and travel ball, and college ball until she changed to a Xeno.

And even more, the HS HC bought a 33” team Ghost, there’s no way to count or figure out the many thousands of swings are on that bat? One of those brainless girls threw it one day at practice and it landed on the knob of another bat and broke about an inch out of the end cap. :mad:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I was talking about in terms of bats breaking.

I am talking in terms of bats...as i said, cheap synthetic or leather...doesnt matter. Just make sure
its a real softball or "quality" softball. The cheap 38 buck a dozen balls are good, they just wont last long. But they arent bad quality. .

May 21, 2018
I read the first couple pages, then just grew too frustrated to keep reading. Bats break,... frequently. 9 out of 10 of those broken bats are not because of something the kid is doing.

As someone mentioned, we jinxed ourself for saying we never broke a bat back in the day. I am not exaggerating when I say I have sent back over 15 bats in the past 2 to 2.5 years. Mostly Ghosts. That doesn't include the other 3 or 4 that have broken as warranty replacements or after the warranty period and couldn't send them back.

We treat these bat like out own children. Most of those aren't even used for practice, just games and have less than 100 swings on them. We follow all the rules to the letter. Stored inside, always leather softballs, etc. They simply do not last. I really wish they would. I buy bats by the dozen anymore.

I just got another replacement Ghost advanced in the mail Saturday. While I waited for that one to come back, I bought this RXT literally 10 days ago. Lucky for me I have 5 more ready to be pulled off the shelf. Its the only way we can guarantee she has a bat to use.

View attachment 21088
Are you sure that's just not spider webbing of the paint?

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
That's funny, bought a 33" Rocketech and a 33" Nanotek from PIAS. At that same time I bought one Lizard skin and a base clean out tool, I paid exactly $3.00 more for the grip & tool than I did for both bats!

I still love using my RT for infield and outfield practice! Anyone need a 33" Nanotek for a BP bat? $800.00 today only! :giggle:
I used to hit infield with my DD's RT. Great bats, even today. The NT, though, would vibrate and send stingers up your hands if you missed it's postage stamp sized sweet spot.

Jul 2, 2013
They all break. As Core said, it's the nature of the beast with how bats are made now.

My DD has been a Ghost fan since the original and has had every one since (I have a problem and i know it). For the last couple of years all i ever heard was how fragile the Ghosts are. She hasn't broken a single one. Maybe my DD just isn't as much of a beast as everyone else's but I don't think that's the case. She definitely had some paint cracking on the GA and I have a feeling that's a lot of what people are seeing. Most people who bring me their DD's bats to show me how it is broken either have paint cracks or they feel like the connection is "loose". It's almost never actually broken. Most still send it in and get a replacement. Don't get me wrong, I have seen a few snapped in half.

Funny story. At the end of the fall, we decided to look at moving DD up to a 34" bat. I found a really good deal on a new LXT and started researching them. Guess what I found? A ton of parents complaining that the LXT was fragile and breaking all of the time.

Dec 11, 2010
I think it’s really weird to read that Ghosts are breaking at the connection point!

Thats a new one to me, having had a dd with one since they came out, have never seen that on her bat or any other.

My experience is the bat gets crunchy sounding, I look at it hard and find the beginnings of sharks teeth and from there on out it gets really good.... They can last for months like that, it’s a shame they are getting sent back at that point.

I agree the GA white paint gets paint cracks that people fuss about that just ain’t nothing. I’d like to be able to go through the Easton bins too, bet some of those bats are just gettin’ good.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi