“The New Bats Are So Fragile”

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Again, new bats arent made to hit 20k bp balls...do I tell people to get a bp bat...yes. But its your choice to
do it or not. I just dont get it. People will buy 100 bats, but not a 100 dollar beater bp bat or some older model bat thats cheap :)
If you choose to use your main bat to hit bp...then expect to replace bats more.
And for the love of god, if you are a hitting coach or whatever, use quality balls, replace often...and
keep them stored in your house or somewhere heated.
Dog balls are just as bad as dimple or frozen bowling balls...haha

Also, if a hitter can handle a drop10...swing a drop10. This is where the Sprite got the rep it did for breaking.
To many stronger girls swinging drop11s because they heard they were hotter. Then they stated breaking
left and right.

Crazy, isn't it?

I love the idea of getting a 2019 model for BP. Lets her try another make and model, lets us not be worried, and you can get a new one for not much.

We're currently pounding away on a brand new RXT we got for $150. And I bought a 2004 Anderson aluminum on eBay for $14 to use in the winter.

Jun 8, 2016
There was some really good discussion here yesterday on this, I've missed these like back in the good ole days!

Maybe my stupid idea in post #30 isn't so stupid after all? ;)

How about just two (only 2) weight drops, -10 for up to 12U, and -5 for 14U and up! That way the -5 can be built with the durability of the older Easton Stealth's and Synergy's, just a thought? Of course the word durability won't fly with the bat manufacturers who are in the business of selling bats!
The problem is a jump from -10 to -5 from 12U to 14U is quite a jump. Took me about a month to transition to wood when I played in a college summer league after my FR year and that was with me taking BP everyday and the jump only being -2 or -3.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Yeah....thats like making boys jump so fast to a drop3...some cant even come close to handling it.

The drop11s are super fine....just cant keep swinging them after you def have grown out of them.
And also, I really think a lot of girls need heavier than a drop10...but the idea of a drop9 is
like taboo for hitting coaches for some dumb reason

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I didn't read the whole thread. DD has 2018 Ghost. She has two bp bats for pitching machine use. About 10 months of use and it is still solid. That being said EVERY player(7 or 8) on DDs team with 2020 Ghost has broken their bat at least once. Some within first month. That bat sucks, period. A very generous mom bought the team 3 ghost for the girls to use when waiting for their replacements and 2 of those broke within 2 months. The survivor is the 31/21. They all break at the connection.
It baffles me that Eastons quality control and testing can be this poor. What baffles me even more is that people keep buying them.

May 21, 2018
Trust me, cold balls are the culprit, changes the compression of the ball and makes it harder, it's not "just" a cold bat!

Core has talked about this before, a warm bat and a cold ball produces vapor trail rockets! Perfect recipe to lose balls!
This makes total sense, I just
Dd just had her third PC break last week. First two were in the summer and this one was at an indoor facility however I think her coach is leaving the balls in his garage or truck. All three broke right in the middle of the barrel, not the handle. Waiting on the replacement and looking for a cage bat, preferably an lxt. After this bat we won’t get anymore-11’s as I think that has something to do with it. She loves the PC but if we get a -10 and it breaks as quickly as the -11’s we will have to move on from them.

My DD broke a couple of the original Power Carbon drop 11s also in the middle of the barrel. I think it was the Power Carbon 2. The Purplish color bat. This was at the same facility where she broke a couple of ghosts. I don't think these balls get cold, but I am wondering if they use a denser ball after reading the responses in this thread.

I know the coaches DD broke her ghost at one of these indoor facilities and she is not a big hard swinging girl. I might mention it to him and see if he can figure out if there is a problem with the ball density or how they are stored. If not, it seems prudent to let everyone know they might need to use a different bat for batting practice. All these bats are breaking right on the barrel which makes me think it's either a climate or ball density/ball storage issue or some combination of the two.

DD has switched to using LXTs and hasn't broken one yet, but I know other posters have had way different results with them.

Oh, and I agree, the ghost double stamp hits great even when you have a big broken dent on one side. I hit some fly balls with it and went yard. I totally suck at softball so this is a pretty good endorsement.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Crazy, isn't it?

I love the idea of getting a 2019 model for BP. Lets her try another make and model, lets us not be worried, and you can get a new one for not much.

We're currently pounding away on a brand new RXT we got for $150. And I bought a 2004 Anderson aluminum on eBay for $14 to use in the winter.

Not to mention, you buy an older model new from a dealer for cheap, and you get the warranty
with that one as well...so you're covered both ways

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Jdint, or maybe just invest in some decent balls yourself and bring them with you. Not many facilities
are going to pop for new, high quality balls every couple weeks. They are trying to make money too.
So they are looking cheap and something that will take the abuse or use them til they fall apart...haha.

And having a BP bat is not a new idea...its been bantered about for a number of years now. I know I
tell everybody its a good idea when the topic comes up.

Jun 8, 2016
Jdint, or maybe just invest in some decent balls yourself and bring them with you. Not many facilities
are going to pop for new, high quality balls every couple weeks. They are trying to make money too.
So they are looking cheap and something that will take the abuse or use them til they fall apart...haha.
That said, I doubt WARM low quality (regular) softballs are any worse to hit then good ones. The facility we hit at is DD's org facility and most of the time we get there within 30 minutes of when the doors open after the heat was off all night. I have no doubt that the balls that they have in there are going to be cold.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
That said, I doubt WARM low quality (regular) softballs are any worse to hit then good ones. The facility we hit at is DD's org facility and most of the time we get there within 30 minutes of when the doors open after the heat was off all night. I have no doubt that the balls that they have in there are going to be cold.

Never said low quality is bad...but dog balls hit 5000 times or balls made a bit diff to last longer arent great.
I could care less if someone buys a 35 dollar a dozen synthetic or 55 dollar leathers.

But just real softballs are the best way to go and replace them when they are "done...haha

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877