Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Thoughts on throwing from the knees at 10/12u

  1. #1
    I'm a fan Fort83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    90
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 28 Times in 19 Posts

    Default Thoughts on throwing from the knees at 10/12u

    DD talked to a new coach last night and he asked her if she could throw the ball from her knees to any base. She said no because it is nothing we have worked on. I am looking for thoughts from everybody on this and if it is to early to teach this or if I should go ahead and work on with her. She has a decent arm and can get some runners out at 2nd while getting most out at third that try. We never really worked on the throw to first because most coach's are sending the runner to second on the first pitch.

  2. #2
    I can talk softball all day Hawk_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    196
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 121 Times in 69 Posts

    Default

    I highly doubt she can get anyone at second from her knees. If she has a good arms and makes a good snap throw to third maybe. I'd rather they learn a proper pop at that age and when their arm gets stronger maybe the throw to third or snap throw to first.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk_ For This Useful Post:

    Fort83 (07-06-2018), MNDad (07-06-2018)

  4. #3
    Always learning... Eric F's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    8,855
    Thanks
    5,609
    Thanked 6,849 Times in 3,531 Posts

    Default

    Work on everything - from the feet and from the knees, to every base. Build the toolbox of skills to have lots of options for handling a variety of situations. This was my DD (13yo) earlier this year - a few different situations, all in one game...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIjBZQQU5UU

    As for knee-throwing mechanics, the best online instruction I've seen is Jen Schroeder (find the Jen Schro Catching FB page and dig through her videos). Practice it until the correct movement pattern is automatic. Driving the lead knee forward to get separation is a critical part of the pattern.

    By "10U/12U", I assume you're talking about a player who will be transitioning to 12U soon. She may not have the arm strength to execute an effective knee throw to 2B right now, but if she can throw to 2B from her feet effectively, she can probably throw to 1B or 3B from her knees fairly well (once decent mechanics are in place). With time and practice, she will get stronger. Focus on correct mechanics.
    A TB parent's life...Drive. Write checks. Eat tacos.

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eric F For This Useful Post:

    cvsoftball (07-10-2018), Jdaddy (07-08-2018), MNDad (07-06-2018), RichK (07-10-2018)

  6. #4
    I can talk softball all day Hawk_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    196
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 121 Times in 69 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
    Work on everything - from the feet and from the knees, to every base. Build the toolbox of skills to have lots of options for handling a variety of situations. This was my DD (13yo) earlier this year - a few different situations, all in one game...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIjBZQQU5UU

    As for knee-throwing mechanics, the best online instruction I've seen is Jen Schroeder (find the Jen Schro Catching FB page and dig through her videos). Practice it until the correct movement pattern is automatic. Driving the lead knee forward to get separation is a critical part of the pattern.

    By "10U/12U", I assume you're talking about a player who will be transitioning to 12U soon. She may not have the arm strength to execute an effective knee throw to 2B right now, but if she can throw to 2B from her feet effectively, she can probably throw to 1B or 3B from her knees fairly well (once decent mechanics are in place). With time and practice, she will get stronger. Focus on correct mechanics.
    Why do they keep running on her lol. Love the fist pump by the ump. That first one was by a mile.

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawk_ For This Useful Post:

    Eric F (07-06-2018), Josh Greer (07-10-2018), MNDad (07-06-2018)

  8. #5
    I eat, sleep and breathe softball grcsftbll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3,487
    Thanks
    2,061
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,121 Posts

    Default

    We're first year 12U and one of our catchers works on throwing from her knees a lot. She's gotten pretty good at it. She doesn't usually do it in games but she practices it a lot, and always does it in the throw downs that start each inning. Our HC has given her the green light on it in games too but she usually does pop for that.
    Softball Mom

  9. #6
    Softball Junkie Elk Grove Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    557
    Thanks
    552
    Thanked 286 Times in 171 Posts

    Default

    Our Catcher is an 05, she throws from her knees often, coach wants to see her do it even more. She is good at it, but she throws so quickly already I'm not sure it's necessary.

  10. #7
    Always learning... Eric F's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    8,855
    Thanks
    5,609
    Thanked 6,849 Times in 3,531 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elk Grove Hurricane View Post
    Our Catcher is an 05, she throws from her knees often, coach wants to see her do it even more. She is good at it, but she throws so quickly already I'm not sure it's necessary.
    Train both. Be good at both. Let the situation determine which method is most effective. One big factor is what kind of receiving stance(s) the catcher uses. If C uses a low squat in all situations, it will lend itself to throwing from the knees a majority of the time. If the C uses a runners-on stance, they will probably be most effective throwing from their feet in most situations. Let the pitch location be your guide.
    A TB parent's life...Drive. Write checks. Eat tacos.

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eric F For This Useful Post:

    Dabears17 (07-07-2018), Elk Grove Hurricane (07-08-2018), RichK (07-10-2018), sbmom19 (07-06-2018)

  12. #8
    I'm a fan daave266's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk_ View Post
    I highly doubt she can get anyone at second from her knees. If she has a good arms and makes a good snap throw to third maybe. I'd rather they learn a proper pop at that age and when their arm gets stronger maybe the throw to third or snap throw to first.
    We have an 05 12U that throws to 2nd only from her knees and she has a great success rate.

  13. #9
    Certified softball maniac RichK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,243
    Thanks
    329
    Thanked 587 Times in 359 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk_ View Post
    Why do they keep running on her lol. Love the fist pump by the ump. That first one was by a mile.
    First base left WAY early on that double steal lol. I particularly like the third throw from the knees following a block, that's a very useful skill to have and can be an easy throw out of girls who go on any bounce in the dirt, blocking, recovering, standing, split-stepping and throwing can take too long in that scenario (which is why runners read and go on the bounce in the first place). Nice.

  14. #10
    I'm a fan S Spiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 56 Times in 30 Posts

    Default

    I'd add that mine was a first year 12 when she started working at throwing from her knees. She didn't think she could do it (and secretly I wondered), but her coach wouldn't take no for an answer: "No, you're strong enough, if you do it right you'll be fine, get down there ...now do it again, turn your shoulder to second, do it again." Pretty soon it was part of the arsenal. Mine's coach was doing exactly the right thing pushing her along. Yours may be too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •