Your advice/suggestions would be appreciated!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2012
My husband is one of 4 coaches on a 10U travel team. Our head coach has suffered a serious illness and isn't around much - and another dad/coach had to take a job out of state during the beginning of the season, so my hubby & 1 other coach have had to manage mostly on their own. Let me preface by saying we have 4 girls that never should've made the team - there were 2 sets of scorers during try-outs and these 4 girls were given high enough scores to make the team but after the 1st practice we learned they could barely throw, catch, or hit or it was their 1st or 2nd year playing. A few of these girls never come to practices (some have other sports committments) and it's hit or miss as to whether they'll show up for games. We have to do 3 lineups just in case someone shows up unexpectedly. The girls that committed to growing as players have improved tremendously and we were actually able to make it to the playoffs. Due to the fact one of our best players would be missing, we were able to get a great substitute who happens to be an amazing pitcher - something our team lacked from the beginning. Both of our pitchers (one being my own daughter) and our other pitcher were basically in their 2nd year of fast-pitch. They are also the youngest on the team and aren't even 10 yet, both very petite and smaller than the other girls on our own team and those we play against. My daughter is more athletic and the stronger of the two but still not as strong or consistent as others we've competed against throughout the season. We know it and our daughter knows it as well but since she's all we have she does the best she can do. We (including my daughter) were very excited to be able to have a substitute play in the quarter-final (since we would be missing one of our strongest players for that game) that just happened to be an awesome pitcher and that could help us compete at the level of the other teams. She's also very strong in the in-field and a great hitter. We were able to win the quater-finals but have unfortunately experienced a backlash - mostly from the father/coach of our back-up pitcher & his wife who only pitched one inning and apparently some other parents were upset we brought someone in (a ringer) to help us win - the consensus being their child lost playing time. The fact of the matter is we played our daughter the 1st 2 innings and let the ringer pitch the next 2. Our back-up is clearly the weakest pitcher on the team - she has no speed to her pitch and basically lobs it in. We weren't in a position that we could lose in the 6th, so we let her pitch and b/c we were ahead more than 6 runs we didn't play a 7th inning - otherwise she would've pitched 2 innings just like my own daughter. Since our ringer was truly a SUBSTITUTE, she sat out as much as all the other girls and played 1st base a couple of times. No one lost any playing time and played the same amount they normally would - with the ONE exception of the our back-up pitcher who pitched one less inning than usual. As previously stated, this back-up pitcher's dad/coach and mom seemed to be the most vocal about it, and compounding the issue is the fact we and our daughters are good friends. The 2 other coaches (which includes the head coach) were adamant that the back-up pitcher not even pitch at all but my husband fought to get her in for the 6th inning since it was clear we couldn't lose. Apparently she went home and told her parents (neither were in attendance for the game) that she only pitched one inning and we received an e-mail from her dad/one of the coaches and our friend - that it wasn't fair to the other girls to bring her in to play and winning "at all cost" isn't a good idea. While he's one of our coaches, he's been unable to attend most practices and games due to having to work out of state so he's basically out of the loop as to what's going with the girls and how they're progressing, etc. My husband very diplomatically explained the situation...that we needed a subsitute regardless - and that even our own daughter pitched less than normal and that we - and more importanly - she - had no problem with it b/c she wanted the team to have the best chance at winning. This is, after all, a travel team where we're playing the best of the best and aspiring for excellence as well. All of the girls (except the back-up pitcher) welcomed her to the team and were thrilled we won...the ringer expressed it was the most fun she had this year. We truly don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to compete and aspiring to win. We purposely signed up for travel ball so my daughter could elevate her own level of play and learn at a higher level...that only happens when you're playing with other girls who are equal or better than you. I was told by the back-up pitcher's wife that the consensus of the parents was that we should've have brought the ringer in (EVEN THOUGH WE NEEDED A SUBSTITUTE REGARDLESS OR WE WOULDN'T HAVE HAD ENOUGH PLAYERS) and that they all agreed it would've been better to lose with the girls we had than win with a girl that hadn't been playing with us all along. The rules wouldn't allow us to have her unless she was truly a SUBSTITUTE. I'm truly shaking my head over this entire situation as I can't wrap my mind around that! Who wants to compete to lose??? What's wrong with striving for excellence? While losing is inevitable - the goal is to try your best to win - and if you lose, so be it. I feel like if they want everyone to get a trophy at the end, not be able to steal more than one base, etc., they shouldn't have signed their kid up to play travel ball and should've stayed on a rec league where those things are encouraged. I think it's a coaches responsibility to play their best players - especially during the playoffs and give the team it's best chance to win. If my own daughter wasn't one of the best players and sat out I wouldn't have a problem with it and would understand - I know if she eventually got to the level as the best on the team she would get her chance to play then - in due time and when she's earned it. I think it makes the girls strive to improve their own game which is a good thing. It's just a sad situation all around because these are good friends of ours and it seems this is going to creat a rift where there shouldn't be one. I think it mostly stems from the thinly veiled reality that their daughter is simply the weakest pitcher - they were upset she didn't get to play as much - and they aren't able to look at it objectively and admit that this is true. She wouldn't have made the team if her dad/coach wasn't one of the scorers. If she were to try out next year she VERY likely wouldn't score high enough to make the team and definitely wouldn't be given an opportunity to pitch. We're having our daughter try out for the better teams we competed against this year (now that we know who they are) so she can continue to grown and improve since this is her passion and what she wants to do. She may or may not make the team and we'll be fine with it either way - we're thinking perhaps this will be the best solution - to move forward and the back-up pitcher will be phased out and forced to play at the level she's truly at. Then if our girls aren't playing together anymore the disparity between them won't be as obvious, there will be less jealousy from their daughter toward my daughter, and we might be able to salvage our friendship if softball is out of the picture. Any ideas/suggestions you have would be very much appreciated - my hubby and I are really taken aback at all this and we have several games coming up that are going to be awkward to say the least. Our ringer is going to be available and WE ARE PLAYING HER...back up pitcher's dad will also be in town for these last set of games and the other 3 coaches have decided the back-up will not play and that even my daughter won't pitch unless the ringer is being ineffective. Thanks in advance for any insight you can give.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Please edit your post and make some paragraphs. Sounds like you are going to be voted off the island by the other 3 coaches. Leave the ringer home and finish were you finish. Good luck.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
First, this whining about the back-up pitcher is getting you nowhere. She is on the team. Maybe it was a poor decision to put her on the team, but that is where you are. So, "build a bridge and get over it."

Second, your husband is a newbie at this, and the other parents are newbies. Communication and talking this stuff through is essential. Your H didn't do anything wrong, other than he should have talked this stuff through more.

When you bring in a new player, you have to communicate better to the parents BEFORE you do it. ("Communicating" and "asking permission" are two different things.) Your Husband should have said, "We will be one short for the tournament. Therefore, Suzy will be playing for us this weekend. She will be treated like the other players. She will get to play, and I'll use her like I would any other player."

He needs to the other players that a substitute player *must* play or he will never be able to use her again. (No one can expect a substitute player to show up and then sit the bench for a weekend.

If my own daughter wasn't one of the best players and sat out I wouldn't have a problem with it and would understand

LMAO...sure, sure. :rolleyes:

I had two kids play in college at a very high level, and, as far as I'm concerned, they should have player every minute of every game.

Our ringer is going to be available and WE ARE PLAYING HER...back up pitcher's dad will also be in town for these last set of games and the other 3 coaches have decided the back-up will not play and that even my daughter won't pitch unless the ringer is being ineffective.

The team is to develop players. Giving the ringer playing time is OK. But, the general rule is that in pool play, you give everyone equal playing time. In the elimination tournament, you play your best. So, sending the ringer out there to pitch every game in pool play is not OK.

But, to say no one else will pitch because the ringer is on your team isn't fair to your DD or the ringer.

Last edited:
May 25, 2010
Original post edited to make reading easier: (unabridged)

My husband is one of 4 coaches on a 10U travel team.

Our head coach has suffered a serious illness and isn't around much - and another dad/coach had to take a job out of state during the beginning of the season, so my hubby & 1 other coach have had to manage mostly on their own. Let me preface by saying we have 4 girls that never should've made the team - there were 2 sets of scorers during try-outs and these 4 girls were given high enough scores to make the team but after the 1st practice we learned they could barely throw, catch, or hit or it was their 1st or 2nd year playing. A few of these girls never come to practices (some have other sports committments) and it's hit or miss as to whether they'll show up for games. We have to do 3 lineups just in case someone shows up unexpectedly.

The girls that committed to growing as players have improved tremendously and we were actually able to make it to the playoffs. Due to the fact one of our best players would be missing, we were able to get a great substitute who happens to be an amazing pitcher - something our team lacked from the beginning. Both of our pitchers (one being my own daughter) and our other pitcher were basically in their 2nd year of fast-pitch. They are also the youngest on the team and aren't even 10 yet, both very petite and smaller than the other girls on our own team and those we play against. My daughter is more athletic and the stronger of the two but still not as strong or consistent as others we've competed against throughout the season. We know it and our daughter knows it as well but since she's all we have she does the best she can do.

We (including my daughter) were very excited to be able to have a substitute play in the quarter-final (since we would be missing one of our strongest players for that game) that just happened to be an awesome pitcher and that could help us compete at the level of the other teams. She's also very strong in the in-field and a great hitter. We were able to win the quater-finals but have unfortunately experienced a backlash - mostly from the father/coach of our back-up pitcher & his wife who only pitched one inning and apparently some other parents were upset we brought someone in (a ringer) to help us win - the consensus being their child lost playing time.

The fact of the matter is we played our daughter the 1st 2 innings and let the ringer pitch the next 2. Our back-up is clearly the weakest pitcher on the team - she has no speed to her pitch and basically lobs it in. We weren't in a position that we could lose in the 6th, so we let her pitch and b/c we were ahead more than 6 runs we didn't play a 7th inning - otherwise she would've pitched 2 innings just like my own daughter.

Since our ringer was truly a SUBSTITUTE, she sat out as much as all the other girls and played 1st base a couple of times. No one lost any playing time and played the same amount they normally would - with the ONE exception of the our back-up pitcher who pitched one less inning than usual. As previously stated, this back-up pitcher's dad/coach and mom seemed to be the most vocal about it, and compounding the issue is the fact we and our daughters are good friends.

The 2 other coaches (which includes the head coach) were adamant that the back-up pitcher not even pitch at all but my husband fought to get her in for the 6th inning since it was clear we couldn't lose. Apparently she went home and told her parents (neither were in attendance for the game) that she only pitched one inning and we received an e-mail from her dad/one of the coaches and our friend - that it wasn't fair to the other girls to bring her in to play and winning "at all cost" isn't a good idea.

While he's one of our coaches, he's been unable to attend most practices and games due to having to work out of state so he's basically out of the loop as to what's going with the girls and how they're progressing, etc. My husband very diplomatically explained the situation...that we needed a subsitute regardless - and that even our own daughter pitched less than normal and that we - and more importanly - she - had no problem with it b/c she wanted the team to have the best chance at winning.

This is, after all, a travel team where we're playing the best of the best and aspiring for excellence as well. All of the girls (except the back-up pitcher) welcomed her to the team and were thrilled we won...the ringer expressed it was the most fun she had this year.

We truly don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to compete and aspiring to win. We purposely signed up for travel ball so my daughter could elevate her own level of play and learn at a higher level...that only happens when you're playing with other girls who are equal or better than you.

I was told by the back-up pitcher's mother(?) that the consensus of the parents was that we shouldn't have brought the ringer in (EVEN THOUGH WE NEEDED A SUBSTITUTE REGARDLESS OR WE WOULDN'T HAVE HAD ENOUGH PLAYERS) and that they all agreed it would've been better to lose with the girls we had than win with a girl that hadn't been playing with us all along. The rules wouldn't allow us to have her unless she was truly a SUBSTITUTE.

I'm truly shaking my head over this entire situation as I can't wrap my mind around that! Who wants to compete to lose??? What's wrong with striving for excellence? While losing is inevitable - the goal is to try your best to win - and if you lose, so be it. I feel like if they want everyone to get a trophy at the end, not be able to steal more than one base, etc., they shouldn't have signed their kid up to play travel ball and should've stayed on a rec league where those things are encouraged.

I think it's a coaches responsibility to play their best players - especially during the playoffs and give the team it's best chance to win. If my own daughter wasn't one of the best players and sat out I wouldn't have a problem with it and would understand - I know if she eventually got to the level as the best on the team she would get her chance to play then - in due time and when she's earned it. I think it makes the girls strive to improve their own game which is a good thing.

It's just a sad situation all around because these are good friends of ours and it seems this is going to creat a rift where there shouldn't be one. I think it mostly stems from the thinly veiled reality that their daughter is simply the weakest pitcher - they were upset she didn't get to play as much - and they aren't able to look at it objectively and admit that this is true. She wouldn't have made the team if her dad/coach wasn't one of the scorers. If she were to try out next year she VERY likely wouldn't score high enough to make the team and definitely wouldn't be given an opportunity to pitch.

We're having our daughter try out for the better teams we competed against this year (now that we know who they are) so she can continue to grow and improve since this is her passion and what she wants to do. She may or may not make the team and we'll be fine with it either way - we're thinking perhaps this will be the best solution - to move forward and the back-up pitcher will be phased out and forced to play at the level she's truly at. Then if our girls aren't playing together anymore the disparity between them won't be as obvious, there will be less jealousy from their daughter toward my daughter, and we might be able to salvage our friendship if softball is out of the picture.

Any ideas/suggestions you have would be very much appreciated - my hubby and I are really taken aback at all this and we have several games coming up that are going to be awkward to say the least. Our ringer is going to be available and WE ARE PLAYING HER...back up pitcher's dad will also be in town for these last set of games and the other 3 coaches have decided the back-up will not play and that even my daughter won't pitch unless the ringer is being ineffective. Thanks in advance for any insight you can give.

May 25, 2010
Brief synopsis for the time-impaired who may wish to offer advice:

OP is the wife of a 10u TB AC.

OP's DD is a 9yo pitcher and was her team's #1 the majority of the season. She is not strong, but she was the best available and has done what the job for her team. She is P1.

Another AC - who is not around often, because he works out-of-state - is the father of the backup pitcher. OP considers her to be a weak pitcher, but again, she is who the team has available, so she's gone in to pitch when needed, but not as much as pitcher #1. Let's call her P2.

The team did not have an original player available for a playoff game, so the HC brought in a pickup player, who the OP refers to as 'The Ringer'. As it turns out, The Ringer is a great pitcher, so the coach decided she would also pitch for the team instead of just filling in somewhere else in the field. Let's call her P1'.

Parents of P2 are upset that P1' is getting playing time over other players and claim that the majority of other parents agree. OP states that, because P1' is substituting for a missing player, everyone is getting the same amount of playing time they were before.

HC and two of the ACs state that P1' will remain with the team to finish the playoffs. One AC and his wife - the parents of P2 - are upset and do not feel it is fair to their DD to lose the opportunity to pitch.

Complicating the matter is that the parents and players are all friends. OP wants to get through this last set of games and then have her DD try out for other teams and part of the reason is an attempt to salvage the friendships.

What would you do? Any advice or insight?

Oct 22, 2009
PA
What bothers me most about the OP is the blatant use of the word ringer. You have knowingly brought in an outside player to come help you win meaningless games in a 10 year old's softball games. REALLY? I can understand having a guest player come in when you do not have enough kids to play in the tournament for the weekend, but to knowingly bring in a better player to take the place of less skilled 10 year old players who have committed to your team is despicable. What is it you are trying to teach your daughter? That anyone can be replaced at any time? That being a member of a team only means something if you don't stink? What if another coach brought in 5 ringers and took all of your daughter's playing time away from her? I think we would be reading a very different post from you about how unfair that was, disrespectful it was to the girls who committed to the team, and how that coach lied about how he would develop the team.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
…… that we should've have brought the ringer in (EVEN THOUGH WE NEEDED A SUBSTITUTE REGARDLESS OR WE WOULDN'T HAVE HAD ENOUGH PLAYERS)

REALLY? I can understand having a guest player come in when you do not have enough kids to play in the tournament for the weekend, but to knowingly bring in a better player to take the place of less skilled 10 year old players who have committed to your team is despicable.

Jul 19, 2012
Thanks for your reply. We DIDN'T have enough players which is why we brought her in - she's a subsitute. Another coach couldn't bring in 5 ringers b/c that wouldn't be allowed in the rules. I'm teaching my daughter there's nothing wrong with meritocracy and being rewarded for excellence. I don't think the games are meaningless at all - I think it's a great forum to learn life lessons. I just don't think there's anything wrong with kids aspiring to be excellent and I think playing with great players helps to motivate them. Obviously all kids want to play and we want them to play but this is a competitive team and we're trying to win. That means the better players play first, play the most. The backups play in practice, where they try to make themselves good enough to earn a place on the field in games. The team plays to win.

I'm teaching her that if she earns a spot as a starter that's a great thing - but that she can't expect to be a starting player or play a certain position during an elimination tournament if there's a better option available. I appreciate your opinion but don't think there's anything worng with that. Other than the back-up pitcher, all of the other girls were very happy to have her play with us. NO ONE lost ANY playing time as I stated. The only ones that will are my daughter & the back-up who would've never been pitching in the first place if we had any other options in the very beginning. We're glad she got the opportunity to grow over the season but the expectation was never there when we tried out that she'd be a starting pitcher when she's only done it for a year. I

Finally, I used the term ringer as that's what the other parent called her and to help differentiate her from the others as I'm new to this whole discussion forum thing and was trying to make it easier to understand : ) Sorry for not doing paragraphs!

Jul 19, 2012
Thanks! I'm involved b/c I'm the wife of a coach and although he's the AC he's been in the role of a HC and is really distraught about all of this, as am I - mostly because these are good friends of ours and we think it's a shame there's so much animosity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut