Your advice/suggestions would be appreciated!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
That means the better players play first, play the most. The backups play in practice, where they try to make themselves good enough to earn a place on the field in games. The team plays to win.

Unlike all those teams who play to lose?

I was talking to Candrea and Murphy last week, and they said that couldn't wait to see the finals of the Hoboken 10U Summer Slam and Watermelon Eating Tournament.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2009
IL

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Good grief. They are ten. Teach them to hit, run, etc. and don't expect them to be major leaguers at tryouts.

SOAP BOX ALERT!!!!
A great philosophy (that I agree with) but it in a world where Parents Can take their player, their money and LEAVE. After one does it, then another and then yet another and pretty soon you have no Team. I agree they are 10....however the world is not in line with our philosophy so I post this. Wish I could change it. And I am darn sure trying in my part of the world. But even the players with lessor ability "out of the box" that I was trying to "Teach" left me b/c they were unhappy we were not the best team in Wins and Losses. Therefore I move ahead. One step at a time. But this is a reality we have to admit exists.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I write you with all due respect that should be showed a Lady, and Coachs Wife. I do share your formatting preference of the original post.

I think you are in a great position... DD pitches, Dad has input with the coach, & a hotline to the ringer! and ringside seats to see how the game is really played.... Get together with your friends(?) and make #2 & #3... ringers. They can work at it together. Start them off on level ground, by putting the emphasis on catching.The best pitcher, will make the other one the best catcher. Then the best pitcher learns what it is like to jump, block, & have to dig them out. The first goal would be to be able to practice together anywhere, no backstop needed. Backyards, then move up to the street in front, with all the neighbors cars. The real #2 will be hosting the practices at their street, due to the liability issues. Use park shelter houses for rainy days. Since they are pitchers, that means to me that they have the best arms... they both must be able the throw out a batter stealing 2nd. Once you get them at this point. Quit the team to get ready for next years tryouts....makes winters very short. Get them skating, playing tennis and playing the guitar. Start with roller blades around #3's block . You should already have community support, with lots of feedback as to how the girls are doing catching & pitching. Goal is to get them at the skating rink, to master skating backwards. It is another reboot, for the #3 to have a chance to excel. Their diligence will catch the eye of rink managers, and you'll be able to get in an hour before they open to pitch & catch in the winter. Tennis is bit more expensive, but still with in budget of TB. Same as skating, another re-re-boot, and inside in the winter. Get 2.... any guitars at a thrift store and 1 amp. Convert to 4 string bass. Goal is to be able to play "Somke on the water by tryouts" Re-write the words to match their groups slogan... my first combo was "TnT" the song went like this..."Smoke on the rubber, you'll hear the fire at the plate" anyways, this will get finger tips ready for some junk pitches. If they have got 3hrs a week + Pitchin, thats 6 total adding the catching, your tandem will be ready for tryout in 2013. If the other girl drops out, forget the restoring and maintaining the friendship thing, that I took as a #1 criteria for this plan, and find a partner, not a friend.

Here is a pic from today...they are going to the rink tonight.
Copy of IMG_1128.jpg

*Ringers Tryout:

Trying out is the focus of the whole plan. You'll want to attend up to 6. Make Sure to be at the best team in your states tryout, with your team... #1 & #1...You got a great pitcher that does some catching, and a great catcher that does some pitching...by now a real team, like Megan & Cat... Best case would be to go to the toughest first. Remember only teams with online rosters can be in the games we're after. That means they will host a web site, that publicly announces tryout times and dates. It would be nice if there is some trophy pic's of the older teams in there org. Your not going to play for any of them. What you need is your scores, and any radar readings they shoot.Tryouts don't count in the 6 hrs a week of pitching/catching. You don't want to really do good at hitting off the machine, that will insure that you get some offers to play on some of the teams. Now everyone has your names & all your numbers.

Phone starts ringing.... First, switch them to email correspondence. Like you have found out on this site, if they don't like to read, they won't remember what they said... (must have a mobile connected to your email... this is emergency crisis stuff)... then rule them out. Once they spell it out what they need... in a email, or text....set up a time to go do pitching practice before any games. I think this is one of the problems you had. You go strike out there best hitters, and let the lesser hitters hit. Now you have helped them, and they have meet you, and everyone knows you are there for them to share in your investment of lots of time and money. If they can't hit at all, pass you'll get famous too fast. You need to help bring confidence to the worst hitters on the team. They need to hit. This game is really easy, its their worst hitters against the other teams worst hitters. You focus on that. Pick and choose your best chances to help, and keep practicing...games don't count for pitching practice. You can be a ringer in the World Series..... in all reality this might be your best shot at getting there.

Edited: I'm setting here watching the 2012 World Championships... tournament been going on all week, done to the end and USA vs Canada. Could not believe I'm seeing Danielle Lawrie, who plays for the USSSA Pride...a US National Professional Fastpitch Team based in Fla. came up to pitch for Canada. Got to be the biggest ringer ever !!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619