WWYD? Playing time 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2014
So. My DD plays 10u travel. She's the number 1 pitcher on a team with a number 2 and some girls who are learning. Our tournamens have been kind of weird this year bc of rain and lack of teams registered, but she has not been given much of an opportunity lately to play any other positions. She either pitches or sits to "rest" in case she is needed to come in to relieve the other pitcher or to be ready to go the next game, I guess. Number 2 pitcher doesn't ever sit-#2 is a very good ball player, as is my daughter. I'm trying to not be the mom but on this team she is one of the older, more experienced girls and plays aggressively. So, the moody kid is getting her feelings hurt a bit. Part of the problem is they have at least one too many, and it's hard to find the subs I suppose. The problem for me is that someday, my daughter may not want to pitch. I would like her to be able to play other positions now so she keeps evolving. My other problem is she is throwing entirely too many warm up pitches in these games they have her sit out and have her get ready every other inning and decide not to use her for whatever reason.
The whole pont of this whole thing is: would you have your DD say something at practice? She brought it up that she wished she could play elsewhere sometimes and I suggested that she ask the coach if there was anything she needed to do to get playing time at other positions. Is that a bad idea? Is this a normal thing where the #1 pitcher just pitches at 10u? This is a 10b team that probably won't win any tournaments this season, especially if they keep turning into open tournaments:)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
IMO, at 10U kids should not be specializing in only 1 position. They should be learning how to be competent and confident at AT LEAST two positions (3-4 is better). Before joining my DD's current 10U travel team, I asked a lot of questions of the head coach regarding her vision for where she planned to use my DD. Her expectations matched mine - C, 3B, and developing at SS. Every kid on the team, including the pitchers, spend time working on the details of playing other positions, and get game time at those positions. To me, this is worth a conversation with the coach. If you don't like the answers, maybe it's time to start looking for a better fit for your needs.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Usually, I would agree with Eric on this. But, Eric is in SoCal, and perhaps he hasn't experienced how bad tournaments can get screwed up by rain.

I've seen some crazy situations...one year, the ASA A-Nationals were played on one day...45 minute drop dead games. Depending upon how bad the tournaments are messed up because of rain, your coach might be doing the right thing.

You, along with your DD, need to go talk to the coach about the situation.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I have to agree with Sluggers on this. Without knowing the full set of circumstances for each tournament played, it's difficult to give advice as to whether you and your DD should be looking for a new TB home. That said, I can honestly say that only once have I seen a 10u TB pitcher only pitch during a tournament and that was simply because the team only had her as a pitcher. The two other girls that pitched were just beginning on their journey.

I realize your TB team has a #2 but this might be another case of the coach not having much confidence of her getting it done in the circle during elimination play therefore, he is keeping your DD "fresh" as the closer/starter.

As others suggested, you and your DD need to discuss the situation with the coach.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
At 10, you would have to be the judge whether you DD is ready to have the talk with the coach. A non-confrontational conversation is needed though.

I always ask the coaches how they uses their pitchers BEFORE joining the team.

Sep 29, 2014
How is her bat? I always tell my DD work on your hitting that way no matter what as coach is making the line up he will say to himself "I can't afford not to put her in because she one of my best hitters."

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Hm. Most tournaments allow the teams to bat ALL their players, not just the ones on the field. In that case, the player will be batting no matter what.

I realize some teams don't like to do this, and they don't HAVE to, but this is 10u for goodness sake.

The problem with having only one horse is that you need that horse to be available to do all the chores, lest the farm shuts down. Sometimes, you gotta protect your horse just in case she's going to be needed later or when you're not expecting it. An injured, lame or tired horse means no food on the table for the family.

That being said, your DD should definitely be working at other positions. Being mindful of the scenario above, have her engage in a nice talk with the coach to see what she can do to make it happen.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Usually, I would agree with Eric on this. But, Eric is in SoCal, and perhaps he hasn't experienced how bad tournaments can get screwed up by rain.

I've seen some crazy situations...one year, the ASA A-Nationals were played on one day...45 minute drop dead games. Depending upon how bad the tournaments are messed up because of rain, your coach might be doing the right thing.

You, along with your DD, need to go talk to the coach about the situation.

I don't understand. What it this "rain" thing you people are talking about?? ;)

You make a valid point that didn't get taken into consideration with my comment. If there are special circumstances due to weather etc., it could definitely effect how the players are being used.

Apr 22, 2015
N.C., USA
2 years ago we had 10 games out of a 16 game season rained out... all-stars had to accept players that had only played in 5 games the entire summer season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog