Wrist Band Call System for Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
we play true A level and have for 6 years now....we were in the 14A USA USSSA National Championship game the year before last and finished in the top 5 in the 16A ASA final standings last year, so I doubt you have anything on us there 'genius coach"....I have seen teams using wristbands quite a few times (but its far in the minority) but didn't see one team in Cali using it in the 16A USA Nationals last year.....and if they did though, good for them....it's fine....I don't care, and good for the trend setters, maybe it gives you an advantage with those B teams you play, but it wouldn't give you an advantage against any team worth there salt there super coach, by and nor does changing conventional signs every few innings either....my point was teams having to use wristbands to defense other teams and parents from cheating and trying to influence a game that they are not part of and just letting a kid decide for themselves what pitch and location is coming....that's it.

and "hearsey" and "spread rumors much?" what hell are you even talking about....?

Lets add assumptions and old information to the list.

My kids call their games. Catchers call their pitches. They prefer to use the system to communicate instead of the old ways we coaches used of touching our noses and our crotches.

And if you do travel the country youll see it has caught on in regions last year and by the end of the year I saw it everywhere. It became wildly popular early this year when Florida was wearing custom colored dual wristbands from evoshield that had the protective wrist guard in it also.

I bet your very aggressively against facemasks, evoshield etc too? Just a hunch since players at all levels hate wearing that too as it affects their tan. Ive never seen MLB players wear chest protectors or wrist/ankle guards as we would get made fun of wearing it. I laughed at a few players in my days......Grown men and women would never wear a facemask on national tv.....

Wait.....MLB does wear the newer PPE. Hundreds of college players and a few pros were facemasks this year that didn't last year. And I even saw LeBron James wearing a faskmask-hes a wuss you know. Guess I was wrong.

So ones limited experience in their region doesn't make them the expert on national trends.

On another note and back on topic. I like the wristband system. Weve played 7 tournies so far this year and attended a half dozen colleges (games or clinics) and so far everyone is wearing them as in the majority of teams and every college (D1). I see many not using them as intended but its a start. personally don't yell out your plays/numbers for lots of reasons. The same old handsign or preferably fingers (numbers) is preferable.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2013
Every D1 college. I just assumed Alabama was D1. I'm sure more and teams will start using them and as a Team that never even thinks about stealing signs maybe we are behind the times. I guess when we play a team that uses them and we are able to see any sort of advantage we to will look into it.

Apr 11, 2012
I bet your very aggressively against facemasks, evoshield etc too? Just a hunch since players at all levels hate wearing that too as it affects their tan. Ive never seen MLB players wear chest protectors or wrist/ankle guards as we would get made fun of wearing it. I laughed at a few players in my days......Grown men and women would never wear a facemask on national tv.....

wow....and you are wrong yet again....but at least your being consistent....I could care less if someone does or doesn't want to wear protective gear....but nice attempt to redirect "signals" to "protective gear" .....oh and speaking of redirection, we are all waiting for "A Level National Power resume Mr. Condensation....

and you let your catchers call the game, but need wristbands to tell a player when to steal, or bunt or hit & run? But that's where I will defend you, I support that you want to do that and glad for those it works for.....as it's just a means to pass on what needs to happen....just like signals....I'm really not making fun of it and haven't yet, only an attempt at apparently sissy-princess-vain-teenage girl comedy that you still haven't seemed to get, but your not alone, there are a couple other....but just like Pavlov's theory I will keep saying for you until you can grasp the concept....there's nothing wrong with a wristband system, it's fine....

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
All I can say is we use them not for an advantage, but for better communication. For me it does save time flashing/saying 3 numbers than someone going through all the fake signs until the coach decides to hit the indicator, then numerous signs after that.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
One thing I'd be tempted to do if my team every used wristbands would be to "accidentally" lose an insert or entire wristband that clearly is marked for that date/opponent in the vicinity of the other team's dugout. Build their confidence that they really do have the legitimate key to the Rosetta Stone with non-critical calls like obvious takes or hit aways early in the game to set them up for some real fun later!

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
One thing I'd be tempted to do if my team every used wristbands would be to "accidentally" lose an insert or entire wristband that clearly is marked for that date/opponent in the vicinity of the other team's dugout. Build their confidence that they really do have the legitimate key to the Rosetta Stone with non-critical calls like obvious takes or hit aways early in the game to set them up for some real fun later!

Our old TB team used them and I found my coach's signal card from the previous day in my wrist band. I told HC I should accidently drop it around the dugout which our next opponent was playing in. We both got a laugh and then I threw it away. It would have been funny though :eek:

Apr 11, 2012
All I can say is we use them not for an advantage, but for better communication. For me it does save time flashing/saying 3 numbers than someone going through all the fake signs until the coach decides to hit the indicator, then numerous signs after that.

which is understandable and fine for the 20th time....but you are flip flopping bra....you bragged that it "gives you an advantage over less organized teams earlier...so which is it....?

Jan 25, 2011
Pdiddy, I get your point. It is to bad at the younger ages, that they feel that they have to use the wristbands because other coaches and parents are stealing signs.

Jan 23, 2014
Here we go again on this subject

If its good enough for the top levels why isn't it good enough for us?

If the top levels were recruiting players based on skill sets and this system was a skill set would you use it? IMHO if your goals is to help your players move on in this game then the top levels dictate what we teach and use at our levels.

Is the level of sb that much higher in my area? 12s that cant hit spots-you got to be kidding me. I got and face 10s that hit spots daily at the A level.
I am trying to figure out where all these 10u pitchers that barely throw strikes are located, bc even at the B level I see some pretty freaking good ones.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA