Wrist Band Call System for Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
just wondering..why are we worrying about someone stealing signs at 12U? An NFCA 3 star coach told me this..."I don't care if u steal them...u still gotta stop us making our plays!"

Feb 7, 2013
just wondering..why are we worrying about someone stealing signs at 12U? An NFCA 3 star coach told me this..."I don't care if u steal them...u still gotta stop us making our plays!"

If yo think about it, the numbering system makes more sense and is more efficient than giving physical signs. Doing all these arm waving, nose indicators, bill touching, leg brushing signs from 3rd base is a little silly if you really think about it. Plus, as these players progress in their softball career, its highly likely they will be using some sort of numbering system. Might as well get used to it now.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If yo think about it, the numbering system makes more sense and is more efficient than giving physical signs. Doing all these arm waving, nose indicators, bill touching, leg brushing signs from 3rd base is a little silly if you really think about it. Plus, as these players progress in their softball career, its highly likely they will be using some sort of numbering system. Might as well get used to it now.

We use it primarily on offense. I call out a signal and it is repeated by the entire bench. This serves two purposes. First it is nice and loud so the base runners can hear it. Second it keeps the entire bench engaged in the game. The players love them and yes we have left used cards laying about for other teams to steal our signals.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

People say lots of things... But if he REALLY didn't care, he wouldn't have signs. Signs clearly have a place in the game - how they are utilized and communicated is really all we are discussing.

And yes you SHOULD be worried about some j******s stealing signs in 10/12U. Ideally no one is doing this, but the reality is there is always some coaches of all levels who feel the need and even if you don't, it makes sense to defensively protect yourself from these coaches.

For example - I am trying to develop a pitcher - and get her to throw her changeup more... some jerk steals the sign and she gets jacked to the fence instead of getting a strike/foul ball and being more confident throwing it again. Maybe sets her back weeks or months. Or even location - knowing the ball is going to be inside/outside is clearly an advantage to a batter if they know early enough. Same with fake bunts/pull backs/steal/etc, etc...

The other reason of course is if not in 10U/12U then when?

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
How we do it - we have 4 grids of 5 x 5 so there is 100 combinations. Across the top is 2 numbers (01,02,03... 23,24,25) and on the left is 5 (1,2,3,4,5) - So the call is 213 - that is 21 on the top and down 3... where an abbreviation for the call is (for example it says CU2 which is Change Up - Zone2)/////////////////////// My head just exploded...

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
Here we go again on this subject

If its good enough for the top levels why isn't it good enough for us?

If the top levels were recruiting players based on skill sets and this system was a skill set would you use it? IMHO if your goals is to help your players move on in this game then the top levels dictate what we teach and use at our levels.

Is the level of sb that much higher in my area? 12s that cant hit spots-you got to be kidding me. I got and face 10s that hit spots daily at the A level.

I guess my first question is, with so many great players, do you just cut the ones that don't rise to your expected level of play? 10U & 12U that are hitting all their spots? I simply don't believe you. Secondly, lots of things are "good enough for the top levels", but having an 11 year old actually understand and execute it is another matter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles