Wondering if this is common practice among coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2014
Just wondering if this is common practice. DD plays on a 10B team. #1 pitcher was out for the tournament so HC brought in a guest pitcher. The team had 3 other pitchers available. Obviously if you bring in a guest they have to get circle time. I am wondering if this is something I should expect on all teams and just get over the feeling of disgust that I have and also the feeling of hurt I have in the coaches complete lack of confidence in these kids, which includes my dd. The first day the guest was not better than any of the pitchers on the team and she actually lied and said we didn't need a guest and had someone she felt was better come in the next day. When my dd does get circle time coach always tells her she is on a short leash and will get pulled quickly and she is completely in her head. I am not sure why the coach asked my dd to join if she doesn't think she is good enough for her team and I am having a real hard time biting my tongue and sticking it out for the rest of the season.
I also posted in the coaching forum to get their perspective.

Nov 15, 2013
It's a common practice among bad coaches, that's for sure. At 10U, it's about developing the players, and this coach is obviously more concerned about winning games than developing players.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
How good are the other three pitchers? Can you win games with them and be competitive? If so, I agree that they need to pitch. You don't need the ace pickup player. I absolutely believe that development is the #1 priority and that pickup players are to be used only when they are needed.

However, coaches also need to put their players in situations where they can be competitive. I assume this is not the case with your team, but hypothetically, there might be an entry-level team where you have one legit travel pitcher and three rec pitchers. Maybe those three call themselves pitchers and they're working on it, but they don't give you much of a chance to win even one game, much less the tournament. In that case, if the #1 pitcher is out, the coach might choose not to martyr the rest of the team and lose 11-5, 16-7 and 12-8 for the sake of those three pitchers. Coach might feel it's best for the team overall to keep those three in their pool-game roles until they're ready for prime time. That way, maybe you play 5 games instead of 3 and everybody has a chance to get better.

In any event, a good coach will communicate his philosophy on pickup players and the team as a whole in advance such that these things do not come as surprises to players and parents. You certainly have a right to feel hurt. I probably would too.

Jun 7, 2011
Central Iowa
In any event, a good coach will communicate his philosophy on pickup players and the team as a whole in advance such that these things do not come as surprises to players and parents.

^^^^^This^^^^^ In the world of fast pitch, you've got varying coaching philosophies that run the entire spectrum, from "win at all cost" to "100% developmental". This is a good thing; it allows parents and players to find a team that most closely fits their needs. The key is communication, which must be upfront and clear.

Jan 23, 2014
The other 3 pitchers are not rec league pitchers. They aren't even c level pitchers. They are b pitchers. She didn't even give them an opportunity for more innings in pool play, she brought someone in immediately. This team is competitive no matter who pitches, but the number 1 isn't winning tournaments for the team. Each of the other three pitchers have won games while pitching,when they get the opportunity. Number 1 is good, when she is on she is really good, but she sometimes struggles and the coach leaves her in much longer than she would leave in any of the other pitcher.
I think it is kind of disgusting she brought in someone sight unseen and then she gets pitching time over kids who have dedicated themselves to the team. Unfortunately the coaching leans towards focusing on the negative and this just really has brought me towards the edge of the cliff.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The other 3 pitchers are not rec league pitchers. They aren't even c level pitchers. They are b pitchers. She didn't even give them an opportunity for more innings in pool play, she brought someone in immediately. This team is competitive no matter who pitches, but the number 1 isn't winning tournaments for the team. Each of the other three pitchers have won games while pitching,when they get the opportunity. Number 1 is good, when she is on she is really good, but she sometimes struggles and the coach leaves her in much longer than she would leave in any of the other pitcher.
I think it is kind of disgusting she brought in someone sight unseen and then she gets pitching time over kids who have dedicated themselves to the team. Unfortunately the coaching leans towards focusing on the negative and this just really has brought me towards the edge of the cliff.

If your perception if correct, then I agree w/ you. This is how coaches lose their team.

Oct 3, 2009
Just wondering if this is common practice. DD plays on a 10B team. #1 pitcher was out for the tournament so HC brought in a guest pitcher. The team had 3 other pitchers available. Obviously if you bring in a guest they have to get circle time. I am wondering if this is something I should expect on all teams and just get over the feeling of disgust that I have and also the feeling of hurt I have in the coaches complete lack of confidence in these kids, which includes my dd. The first day the guest was not better than any of the pitchers on the team and she actually lied and said we didn't need a guest and had someone she felt was better come in the next day. When my dd does get circle time coach always tells her she is on a short leash and will get pulled quickly and she is completely in her head. I am not sure why the coach asked my dd to join if she doesn't think she is good enough for her team and I am having a real hard time biting my tongue and sticking it out for the rest of the season.
I also posted in the coaching forum to get their perspective.

As my DD has gotten older and has enjoyed her share of success and failure, we discuss her early days of pitching. And she thinks one of the key reasons she is where she is because her first coach at 10u NEVER guested players/pitchers unless it was absolutely necessary. This created an atmosphere of you better work hard and be prepared because if the person in front of you goes down or cannot make a game/tournament, you are it. When she started on this team she was the clear #3 pitcher. As opportunities arose she took advantage of them. Finally she had a breakthrough game when the #1 could not make it and the #2 got injured. Even though it was probably 6 years ago and a rec game I remember it like it was yesterday and so does my DD.

For what it's worth.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Is this something that should happen? No, especially at 10U. Is this something that does happen? More often than you know.

What you have is a coach more interested in winning than developing the other pitchers. There is no other way to explain it. This coach will be down to one or two pitchers in the fall, as I can't imagine any parent of a pitcher thinking this was the best thing to do for the team.

I have States coming up in 3 weeks (14U), and my #1 pitcher will be playing in a basketball showcase on Saturday, and will come back to play for me on Sunday. I have three other pitchers who might keep us close enough to win, but they all pitch to contact. They are not overpowering pitchers, and need to keep the ball out of the middle of the plate and limit walks. Am I going to find a guest pitcher to come play for me on Saturday? Not a chance, because I gave them my word at the very beginning that I will not bring in a guest pitcher if we have two pitchers going into the weekend. It might be a long Saturday, but I am betting it pays off for us in the end, both in using these pitchers later in the summer, and retaining players in the fall.

I do not use pick up players under any circumstances, and haven't during my entire 14 year head coaching career. I simply do not believe in using other players over my own. I feel so strongly about it that I almost despise any coach who does so. My philosophy is, "You pick 'em, you play 'em."

On the other hand, we face teams that do this every weekend. Religiously. Heck, we even play teams that plan their entire tournament schedule around their ability to use pick up players in place of (not as substitutes when one or more is out) their own. Their own players ride the bench for all 4/5/6 games of the tourney while the pick ups play every inning.

I cannot wrap my head around how these coaches get any players.

If things are precisely how you say, I'd be looking for a new team.

Last edited:

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I did it recently on a rec. 12U tournament team, and regret that I did. I will go with our own pitchers, and let the chips fall. for State and Nationals, its nice to increase your roster with an extra slapper or pitcher I suppose, but I wont do this again under normal circumstances.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog