Wondering if this is common practice among coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
DD plays on a 10B team. #1 pitcher was out for the tournament so HC brought in a guest pitcher. The team had 3 other pitchers available.

I know this thread is about guest players, but my question is why would you put your DD on a 10B team that has 4 pitchers? If you are serious about your DD developing as a pitcher she needs to be on a team where she is the #1 or #2 pitcher - even if it means moving to a 10C team. Circle time is the best way for a pitcher to improve and when your DD knows that the team is counting on her it will provide motivation to practice harder! How motivated is a #3 or #4 pitcher when they know that the only innings they will see are in "mop up" duty in games that got out of hand?

I know this thread is about guest players, but my question is why would you put your DD on a 10B team that has 4 pitchers? If you are serious about your DD developing as a pitcher she needs to be on a team where she is the #1 or #2 pitcher - even if it means moving to a 10C team. Circle time is the best way for a pitcher to improve and when your DD knows that the team is counting on her it will provide motivation to practice harder! How motivated is a #3 or #4 pitcher when they know that the only innings they will see are in "mop up" duty in games that got out of hand?
I've said it before but it bears repeating here: Some of the most universally unhappy players/families in fastpitch softball are those who are #3 and #4 pitchers on their current team.

I'd find her a team where she can be the unquestioned #1 or #2, that way she knows she's getting circle time every weekend and that her team needs her. Get away from Mr. Pick Up ... the girl needs to pitch!!

Last edited:
May 14, 2010
I have found that when I have a group of Pitchers that are fairly even, what it really means is that I don't have any pitching.

Jan 23, 2014
We joined this team in November. We are new to competitive softball this spring. When joining the team we were under the impression she would be the number 2 pitcher. Not so much. We were already planning on looking for a new team after the season. I will make sure she is the #1 or 2 pitcher, even if she moves down to C. This whole situation has made me consider asking to be released and guesting for the rest of the season.

Jun 8, 2014
We have all kinds of practice templates on this app called eSports Practice. It’s help coaches run organized effective practices. It provides drills and organization for coaching softball. It helps with communicating to parents and assistant coaches. The timer keeps practice on schedule. Many of the coaches I spoke with love it. It's only $5.99/year. You can check it out at: https://esportspractice.com/sign-up/&groupid=1236

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kograd