Wish it was better.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Way to cya - good swing to high level swing has a lot of distance between them....did I say somewhere this was a high level swing? can you point me to that post?

Your signature contains a video link to some swings - would you consider the swings in that video high level or good?

The swing appears to have 'bat drag' with the rear elbow ending up well in front of the rear hip at contact.

2vm7qbm.gif

Dec 19, 2012
Way to cya - good swing to high level swing has a lot of distance between them....did I say somewhere this was a high level swing? can you point me to that post?

Your signature contains a video link to some swings - would you consider the swings in that video high level or good?

No. The first hit she is way out in front on a changeup but hits it well enough to drive in two runs and the other pitch is a drop ball that is about 6 inches off the ground that she swings at with a full count and bangs it back up the middle for a base hit. We talked about these two swings after the game and we both agreed they were not great swings....they were effective but not great. These swings were never posted as a stand alone. These swings were never posted to prove a point. The link is nothing more than her highlights of a scrimmage from last Thursday.

R

RayR

Then really your point is lost on me....I first post a clip of my hitter to show the back leg action - with this quote all to help RD.

Here is what I would do -

Use this as a blue print. Keep the hands as quiet as possible and let the lower body (specifically the rear leg) swing the bat. Get comfortable with this.

and end the post with this comment

Point to all this is - learn how to resist against good rear leg action - keep the hands quiet and it is easier to allow the swing to unfold instead of trying to load up the barrel by flattening it.

I never mentioned turn the barrel. Carry on, Lenski.

No. The first hit she is way out in front on a changeup but hits it well enough to drive in two runs and the other pitch is a drop ball that is about 6 inches off the ground that she swings at with a full count and bangs it back up the middle for a base hit. We talked about these two swings after the game and we both agreed they were not great swings....they were effective but not great. These swings were never posted as a stand alone. These swings were never posted to prove a point. The link is nothing more than her highlights of a scrimmage from last Thursday.

Feb 14, 2010
Ok Lenski just to turn your point back onto you, Do you think what your teaching is working? Frankly that swing is no better than Laura's that you are questioning what RD's teaching her. I don't know if that's your DD or a student of yours.

Dec 19, 2012
Ok Lenski just to turn your point back onto you, Do you think what your teaching is working? Frankly that swing is no better than Laura's that you are questioning what RD's teaching her. I don't know if that's your DD or a student of yours.

Those two swings are in protect mode in a real game, not batting practice swings. The first one is a changeup, and I've seen many kids not able to hit a changeup. She drives it for a two run single. The other was a drop ball well out of the strike zone (watch the action of the catcher) that is hit back up the middle and the pitcher did not have time to react. Both times she hit through the ball, not to the ball. All that aside, frankly, you are incorrect. I just don't see much power in the swing RD has posted. His dd appears strong and athletic but her swing does not. That's why I advocate a strong, working front side, not a top hand that guides the bottom hand which virtually eliminates any power from the front side.

Dec 19, 2012
The swing appears to have 'bat drag' with the rear elbow ending up well in front of the rear hip at contact.

2vm7qbm.gif

As stated before, this is a changeup. She was out in front, and changed and adapted and did what she had to do to hit the ball. Nothing more. Most kids would not have hit this ball, so I don't mind you posting it one bit.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Lenski,
I appreciated your help. I posted my DD's swing. I knew it wasn't how I wanted her to swing. Sometimes DD needs to see for herself. Now maybe DD will listen to dear old dad. I don't want any other parent have to defend his/her DD because of my DD's swing. I have a big mouth and post often and critic often. So, I may have needed to be humbled and put myself in check.