Winning versus Having Fun

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I don't know Ken, I kinda look at it different. 47% say it's not fun anymore and then 42% would rather play video games. Sounds like to me they would rather sit on their butts in the air condition than get out and WORK hard for something. Too bad one of the questions wasn't " did you quit because you're a lazy a$$ ".

Maybe 42% would rather play video games because no one is there criticizing every move, or yelling at them for getting their character killed. Or maybe because it's more spontaneous instead of being over-scheduled - they can do it when they feel like it.

From a kid's perspective, all too often it can feel like they're playing for the adults. With video games, since no one who's not playing cares about the outcomes, they're playing for themselves.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Maybe 42% would rather play video games because no one is there criticizing every move, or yelling at them for getting their character killed. Or maybe because it's more spontaneous instead of being over-scheduled - they can do it when they feel like it.

Call me old fashioned, but I'm one of those people who strongly believe sports for kids is one of the best ways to teach life long positive and productive experiences.

Things sports teaches that carry on into college and careers:
Integrity
Perseverance
Positive Attitude
Respect
Teachability
Self esteem

And the 3 B's:
Social benefits, successful participation in team sports requires children to learn how to cooperate with their teammates, how to follow directions and how to develop friendships.

Physiological benefits, one of the important benefits of team sports is teaching children how to cope with competition in a healthy way. Other psychological benefits of team sport participation include learning how to think critically, solve problems, develop patience and persistence, and become self-disciplined.

Physical benefits, The Centers for Disease Control indicates childhood obesity tripled between 1980 and 2010. Budget restraints and increased pressure for academic achievement have forced many schools to cut their physical education and recess programs. These cuts remove many of the opportunities children have historically used to enjoy physical activity. The American Academy of Pediatrics notes that children who participate in regular physical activity have reduced risks of “many adult health problems, including diabetes, obesity, and heart disease.” This is why one of the biggest benefits of team sports is that they provide children with the opportunity to be physically active.

You can't build these traits sitting I front of a TV "choosing" when you want to play, or if you're "losing" turn it off or start a new game. These kids are our future, and who will be entrusted to take care of us when we get older. I want them to prosper.

235008d5.jpg
[/IMG]

Vs.

02006137.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Gooindeep, your pm box is full. BTW, I typed a 567 word private message to you and then that darn box is full. It took me 6 hours to type it. J/K

I'll paraphrase what I typed, from the pic, which one is you and which one is the kid?

Apr 6, 2012
Something from Michael Phelps via Brendan Hansen

“Here’s a guy who’s got 14 gold medals before we went into these Games and he said to the team, ‘I’ll never remember the 14 medals, but what I’ll remember is the card games, the laughs, the jokes, the fun things, the conversations that you have,’” said Brendan Hansen, who swam in the medley relay with Phelps, along with Matt Grevers and Nathan Adrian.

Now, I am pretty sure Michael will remember the medals. But, I think his point was that relationships and the fun they had together meant so much more.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Missy Franklin just said her goal for the Olympics was to have fun and do her best. She said whether she won all medals or zero medals did not matter, as long as she did her best.

I don't believe her. :)

She can control her effort, and she can control her attitude. She can't control if she wins or not. That's why she says that, IMO. ...

That doesn't mean that I disagree w/ the idea that fun is very important. World-class athletes aren't the same as 12U travel ball players who aren't likely to progress past high school ball. You can't win an Olympic gold medal if winning doesn't matter, IMO.

My philosophy in 8u/6u rec ball was that it was more important to have fun because fun is what brings them back, and coming back is what makes them better. I'm beginning to think that applies more to travel ball than I once thought.

Aug 19, 2011
SNIP
My philosophy in 8u/6u rec ball was that it was more important to have fun because fun is what brings them back, and coming back is what makes them better. I'm beginning to think that applies more to travel ball than I once thought.

It has all gotten very serious. With increased aspiration and the lure of scholarships and TV time in college, the attitudes and methods of college/national teams and coaches is working its way into younger and younger age classes. Everybody worries that the last D1 train is leaving the station, and if you don't get on (most competitive TB team, specialized coaching, etc.), it will be too late. Time pressure creates impatience, and harshness.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Gooindeep, your pm box is full. BTW, I typed a 567 word private message to you and then that darn box is full. It took me 6 hours to type it. J/K

I'll paraphrase what I typed, from the pic, which one is you and which one is the kid?

Sorry, PM clean now. DD is the 4th from the left on top row.

I'm actually not in this pic, we had rain delays ( Sunday ) and the champ game didn't get over until 11. I had to help my mother to her van, she is in a wheelchair and she was worn out from the day.

This group was very special to me. This was the year we recruited players who were not happy with their old teams, and we spent the summer tracking them down and let the girls get " a little revenge ". Best hitting team I ever had, 256 runs scored and 96 allowed. 33-9 for bracket play from OK to east TN. We won every tourney but two that year, and those were runners up and 3rd place.

"winning vs having fun" ?? This group showed that we could do both. Most of these girls were upset with old teams/coaches/players, we took that energy and dumped a truck load of fun in the mix and kicked some serious butt those few summer months. They bonded so well because they were fighting WITH each other to eliminate their old teams, as oppose to fighting each other ( internally ) in a bad team situation.

I could try to put another team together like this one for the same reasons, and it would never work out like this one did. Funny thing is we are all now playing each other in our different high schools and see each other in the big HS tournaments. During the games the old friendship is on hold, after the games they all run around together like sisters. Most of them tell me that was their best and most fun year too. I SURE DO MISS THEM.

Mar 31, 2011
Central Florida
This group was very special to me. This was the year we recruited players who were not happy with their old teams, and we spent the summer tracking them down and let the girls get " a little revenge ". Best hitting team I ever had, 256 runs scored and 96 allowed. 33-9 for bracket play from OK to east TN. We won every tourney but two that year, and those were runners up and 3rd place.

"winning vs having fun" ?? This group showed that we could do both. Most of these girls were upset with old teams/coaches/players, we took that energy and dumped a truck load of fun in the mix and kicked some serious butt those few summer months. They bonded so well because they were fighting WITH each other to eliminate their old teams, as oppose to fighting each other ( internally ) in a bad team situation.

I could try to put another team together like this one for the same reasons, and it would never work out like this one did. Funny thing is we are all now playing each other in our different high schools and see each other in the big HS tournaments. During the games the old friendship is on hold, after the games they all run around together like sisters. Most of them tell me that was their best and most fun year too. I SURE DO MISS THEM.

Yes sir, this is what we really remember and this is a big part of why we do what we do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd