Why is it important to know how fast your DD pitches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
Why is it important to know how fast your DD pitches?

To get a baseline, and then see to improvement over time. Surely you want to see that those $50/hr lessons are paying off, right??
Oh, and because they ask on the recruiting questionaire.

May 18, 2009
I think the whole bragging rights thing is a national epidemic.

Here are a couple links to average speeds...

What is an Average Pitching Speed? Great softball pitching hints and recommendations for girl softball pitchers

And to pitch D1, you do NOT need to have a 60 something fastball. But you WILL work into it once you get there.

It's good to know where you stand in the softball world. These averages are about what I thought they would be from what I've seen in TB. Every now and then you see a girl that looks like she's throwing harder but it's usually only one or two miles per hour faster than the average pitcher.

Duane

some softball dude
Aug 10, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
The actual speed number is just a gauge to measure improvement. The spin needed for movement pitches can be learned throwing 40 mph, but the pitches aren't actually going to have much movement at that speed.

My daughter is playing 16u's and consistently hits 56/57 but has tons of movement. By no means is she the fastest pitcher most hitters will see but come game time she very rarely throws a fastball anyway. It's all about movement, keeping them off balance and hitting her spots.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Yes. Seen gun on very good travel pitchers. The speed is less than what is bantered about here. Also huge variations depending on guns.

Two links. This is what NFCA says about college numbers:
http://ftp.nfca.org/camps/FAQs/college.pdf

Here are the results from a few camps that I saw had them posted:
NFCA.ORG
NFCA.ORG
NFCA.ORG

Funny, 3 pages of actual results from a college recruiting camp and I only see a couple 60+ mph's. They must be going to the wrong parks. Just ask anyone that practices at my local park. There are at least a half dozen girls throwing 60. Just ask their dads. :D

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
To get a baseline, and then see to improvement over time. Surely you want to see that those $50/hr lessons are paying off, right??
Oh, and because they ask on the recruiting questionaire.

The recruiting point makes sense, if its asked.

It doesn't explain the 10U and 12U folks. As far as $50 an hour lessons. My daughter doesn't go to lessons, not yet anyway. Need to find someone to teach her how to spin the ball and throw some junk.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD has been seeing the same PC for 3 years at $40 for 2 hours. When she started seeing him she threw a 42mph fastball. She is now in the top 5% (for speed) and we still pay $40 for 2 hours.

Jan 22, 2011
My daughter is a very good 8u pitcher, but I told her it was foolish (yes, I used that word) of Daddy to spend $65-70/hour on her private lessons. Working out just on her own without a coach, she's made solid improvements with her accuracy. She's scheduled for 4 lessons sometime this winter, and then if she wants more lessons after that, it'll be as part of a group. If softball were tennis and she looked like a prodigy, I might feel differently.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would much rather have a young lady come in that has had no pitching experience, than one that has attempted to pitch a couple of seasons. It is too difficult to break bad habits and many times the girl and her family doesn't want to change.

I was fortunate enough to have a nice 13 YO athlete come to her 1st lesson, on Sunday. She has not pitched before. I think that she will easily pick up the skill and she is taking lessons because she wants to. I was excited to meet her.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma