Why is it important to know how fast your DD pitches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MPM

Feb 1, 2011
Ivy Renroe at Tennessee throws a two seam fastball as her "curve" . Her high speed is about 68 or even 69 mph. Both pitchers at Tennessee reach speeds above 65 on a regular basis. However, I feel it is the ability to produce "late" movement and placement that makes a pitcher great. Another key note about pitching in the SEC , PAC 10 or other top conference successfully is the ability to throw these different pitches without "tipping" them off to the batter. Top level programs film and they make their players watch lots of film. Cat Hosfield at Tennessee relies on a high and low screw, drop, and change and Ivy Renfroe relies on a rise, two seam fastball as a curve, and change up occassionally. I have seen her throw a low pitch that may be a drop but it doesnt move down much. It is more of a low fast ball. Blair Luna out of Texas is another good pitcher who we will see do really well this year. She is successful at a lower speed. She throws a drop, rise, and change and her balls " float" which to me is amazing. I have never seen her throw above 60 to 62. If your ball is slower your movement and location really, really need to be excellent like hers. Her rise is better than Ivy's as it "appears to float" . Donna Kerr of UCLA has one of these same " floating" rise pitches and a sharp biting drop. She is another one that really isnt a speedster and she won ASA nationals as a junior.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06