Why is it important to know how fast your DD pitches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I don't know how fast my girl throws. She is 13 playing in 14U this year. She pitched all last season and how fast she pitched never entered my mind until other coaches asked me what her speed was.

I don't know I would say and they would look at me like I was either lying or crazy.

So tell me, why is it important?

Jul 26, 2010
Most male coaches come from a baseball background. Ever talk baseball? How much talk is based on stats and how much is based on the actual game? Same thing.

-W

Nov 24, 2009
Chicagoland
Why is it important? Ultimately is not but like starsnuffer mentioned we are driven by numbers (stats) in the game of softball. The fastball measurement is used more as a gauge of improvement, meaning you can, as a parent, see whether your daughter is getting better by a single number. But the truth is the most important thing is whether she can get the batter's out. Cat Ostermann is quoted as saying she rarely even throws her fastball, but the thread for her to do so is always there.

May 25, 2010
When my daughter figured out how to pitch last year, I was interested in the speed, so I bought a cheapo gun last summer and clocked her one day. Used it a couple more times in the next week or so, but then put it away when she stopped practicing in July and it hasn't been out since.

And won't be coming out anytime soon.

Retiring the Bushnell is one of the most important steps in Crazy Daddy rehab.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
......The fastball measurement is used more as a gauge of improvement, meaning you can, as a parent, see whether your daughter is getting better by a single number. But the truth is the most important thing is whether she can get the batters out......

My dd PC stresses location over speed. The bragging right of young pitchers
parents is why we like to see the gun cometh.

Last I checked, location more likely
took out a hitter than pure speed. I know of a young lady who throws 60-61
as a 15yo. When she hangs one down the middle it is a HR to CF when facing a good hitter

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I never knew how fast DD pitched. She laid off for a year and then, had to pitch in an emergency and I used my GloveRadar to warm her up. She was at 54 at 17.

When they ask how fast she pitches, say " Fast enough to strike 'em out."

Nov 29, 2009
I don't know how fast my girl throws. She is 13 playing in 14U this year. She pitched all last season and how fast she pitched never entered my mind until other coaches asked me what her speed was.

I don't know I would say and they would look at me like I was either lying or crazy.

I went through the same thing with my daughter. I was never interesting in exactly how fast each pitch was, only how much and when it broke. The last time she was on a gun that I knew of was when she was 17. At that time she was hitting the 62 mark consistently. I know she got faster in college with the workouts she was doing when I would catch for her over the winter break.

So tell me, why is it important?

I keeps a hitter honest. They know the speed is there, but it's the change of speed and movement is what they have to protect against. That is what makes a faster pitcher harder to hit IF she can change speeds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma