Why athletes with average talent succeed...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Oh, now I understand...it is all so clear!

My DD#3 (on left) played this young lady (on right) (Candace Parker) in HS hoops:View attachment 10962

If only my DD#3 had worked harder, she could have held Candace (SEC Rookie of the Year, NCAA Finals MVP, 2 time Olympic Gold medalist, WNBA Rookie of the Year, WNBA MVP) to 20 point instead of 21.

FYI, Candace and DD#3 played ball against each other for several years. Candace got the best of DD#3 in all games, except for one game in the 3rd grade--when Candace had the flu. Somehow, someway, DD#3 learned to live with the crushing reality that Candace was a much better ball player.

(As an aside, playing Candace made my DD#3 a better ball player. When DD#3's D3 hoop team won the championship, she was paired against three D3 All-American post players in a row. She would always say, "At least she's not Candace. I'll be OK.")

Great post Sluggers! Thanks for sharing!

May 17, 2012
I have no dog in the fight, but ...

I'd feel pretty certain that if you researched the rosters of Power 5 conference softball teams that pitchers would be taller than position players on average and significantly taller than the average U.S. woman.

Why would that be if height didn't provide some advantage in pitching?

Correlation does not prove causation.

Clearly coaches have a bias for taller pitchers. Research of pitchering speed and durability have shown that it just doesn't matter. Physics agrees as well.

Spread the word...

Jul 5, 2016
Correlation does not prove causation.

Clearly coaches have a bias for taller pitchers. Research of pitchering speed and durability have shown that it just doesn't matter. Physics agrees as well.

Spread the word...

The Florida Gators pitching staff is composed of fairly normal-sized young ladies and they performed well. Could have used a little more support from their offense, but that is different topic.

Jul 23, 2014
I'm not a physicist but my limited understanding of physics leads me to believe the longer the lever (arm) the more torque that can be generated. Granted it takes more to get the longer lever up to speed but all things being equal a longer arm could throw a faster pitch. Just look at catapults for example. Longer legs and stride length (release point) would be another factor to consider.

Jul 5, 2016
I always thought that the advantage a tall girl enjoys is that she can step halfway to the plate with a well-executed leap and drag pitch.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
OK. But they aren't 6 foot + like Keilani Ricketts or Jennie Finch, etc.

True, you don't have to be a giant. My argument is just that size is an advantage in softball. You can be very good at most any size, but the sizes we see in both height and weight at the highest levels of softball aren't random.

May 17, 2012
True, you don't have to be a giant. My argument is just that size is an advantage in softball. You can be very good at most any size, but the sizes we see in both height and weight at the highest levels of softball aren't random.

I agree the size of players isn't random but due to bias. In other sports being tall (volleyball, basketball, etc.) gives you an advantage. It's not clear to me what that advantage is in baseball/softball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles