What does the corner mean to you

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
RDBass .....

RH referenced:

2r618bp.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal
A comment such as "remember we work with young ladies" is only sexist if one decides to interpret it that way. The reference could be attributed to age specifically and not gender.

I understood SL's statement as (I believe) he intended it. This is a softball forum, which - by default - dictates that our "students" are pretty darn likely to be female. For a lot of us, this also means they are young. For the kids I help, there is only so much a 9 or 10yo can wrap their head around and put into action. Talk of levers and SCIP axis just doesn't connect the dots for them. IMO, a good teacher needs to teach in a way that the students can absorb the lesson. Sometimes that mean simplifying. This has EVERYTHING to do with age, and NOTHING to do with gender.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Food for thought from my DD "I hit best when I stop overthinking and let my body do what I've trained it to do"

Sure .... it is important to learn how to enter the zone and use the eyes in a manner that allows the brain to collect the information that it needs.

That said, you still benefit from a training environment that enriches the learning of the fundamentals.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The notion that the material needs to be kept simple BECAUSE the target audience consists of ladies is ... weelllll, it is insulting.

The swing is basically the same between men and women. A good fundamental understanding shouldn't be stifled simply because the student is a female.

If you train like you will achieve less ... then you will achieve less.

Your daughter was swinging wood at a young age. I doubt highly that she was raised to feel that she was of an inferior class.

I believe you missed my point.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I believe you missed my point.

The notion is to deal within a kid's abilities. Their gender is somewhat irrelevant ... and honestly, while 'age' is a factor, it shouldn't be used as a limiting factor either. I have hitters at the HS age that I'm certain you would consider to be 'emotionally young'. I have pre-HS hitters that you would likely consider 'emotional mature'. You teach at the level that information can be absorbed.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I didn't make the statement, "keep in mind we work with young girls." However, I didn't read anything into the statement that was an attack on gender. I guess others did. It would be no different than me saying that I work with young boys on the website that I moderate. This is a softball website and so, the mention of "girls" was appropriate because of the site. In the age of political correctness, everyone is looking to be offended imo.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I understood SL's statement as (I believe) he intended it. This is a softball forum, which - by default - dictates that our "students" are pretty darn likely to be female. For a lot of us, this also means they are young. For the kids I help, there is only so much a 9 or 10yo can wrap their head around and put into action. Talk of levers and SCIP axis just doesn't connect the dots for them. IMO, a good teacher needs to teach in a way that the students can absorb the lesson. Sometimes that mean simplifying. This has EVERYTHING to do with age, and NOTHING to do with gender.

Thanks Eric.
Just what i meant, nothing more, nothing less.
One or two haters trying to flip it around, make it more than it is.
The same As#hat that argues with everyone...

SL

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2014
Food for thought from my DD "I hit best when I stop overthinking and let my body do what I've trained it to do"

Someone put away the visual of the Pythagorean Theorem. I wish you would put that back on, because there is a strong teaching point to all of this.

Who would have thought that the dimensions of a right angle triangle can be understood through the summation of area squares?

The same goes for the baseball swing: Who would have thought that the rotation of the swing is resolvable by the dynamics of simultaneous levers?

The eternal dogma is to rotate. Unless you understand the paradox, your young player will never learn. Teach your student how to work levers. I am here to show you how, so you can do the thinking for them.

Now, going back to business in understanding the swing..... Corner or No Corner?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse