What does the corner mean to you

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Tbao
Join the forum and come out swinging...:rolleyes:

Remember we work with young ladies, lets keep it simple....;)

SL

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
5508d1396374371-what-does-corner-mean-you-cornermech2.jpg

Guerrero.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If I were to redraw arrows, this high level hitter would create divergent red arrows going in separate directions: One arrow starts at the rear hip belt line going down to the rear knee in representing the horizontal torque applied to the hip socket, the other starting simultaneously at the same point headed up the SCIP axis toward the hand set in representing a competing vertical torque on the hip socket. The SCIP axis is both a torsion bar and a functional lever, whose top end is the recipient of the sum of forces during the launch.

Bold above ..... very important key to the swing IMO.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
So do trigonometry and physics teachers.

Someone got confused .... hence the plea to keep things simple. The truth is, what was described ... what I refer to as "Pivot the Swing" (as opposed to "Shift AND Swing" or "Shift THEN Swing") .... is incredibly simple and is huge in terms of getting a kid away from an OTT-type swing and towards a properly powered swing.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
So do trigonometry and physics teachers.

8-12yos are taking trig and physics?? Man, things have changed...:confused: :p

I think this in-depth information is great for those who are ready and able to read it and absorb it. As teachers (even if it's just our own DDs), we should do everything we can to learn the material we're teaching as deeply as we can. The challenge in teaching is how to translate the information in a way that the student can understand and apply.

That said, I'm going to have my 15yo read TBao's posts, and explain them to me in a way I can understand. ;)

Apr 1, 2014
... As teachers (even if it's just our own DDs), we should do everything we can to learn the material we're teaching as deeply as we can. The challenge in teaching is how to translate the information in a way that the student can understand and apply.

It is our obligation, as teachers to understand....

This was posted on this site recently:

Good information, bad information, do not know.....?

I will the break down the answer within a mechanistic framework, but I must hear from you. No checkpoints, minimizing descriptions, and facilitating understanding through tangible explanations. I am like every single one of you out there, and have been on this site since 2011. I had a very good teacher, and with a lot to share.

Tbao

Remember we work with young ladies, lets keep it simple....;)

SL

By the way, I take this as a very gender-centric comment. My daughter is highly intelligent, and women run my life. We must look at ourselves for that humbled self analysis in claiming that we really do not understand.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
A comment such as "remember we work with young ladies" is only sexist if one decides to interpret it that way. The reference could be attributed to age specifically and not gender.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
A comment such as "remember we work with young ladies" is only sexist if one decides to interpret it that way. The reference could be attributed to age specifically and not gender.

The notion that the material needs to be kept simple BECAUSE the target audience consists of ladies is ... weelllll, it is insulting.

The swing is basically the same between men and women. A good fundamental understanding shouldn't be stifled simply because the student is a female.

If you train like you will achieve less ... then you will achieve less.

Your daughter was swinging wood at a young age. I doubt highly that she was raised to feel that she was of an inferior class.