What does the corner mean to you

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
How do you get any read off of a divice like this. You have the barrel coming toward device->across in front of device->away from device. The bat could be traveling exactly the same speed through the whole swing and the red dots would go from close to spread back to close.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
How do you get any read off of a divice like this. You have the barrel coming toward device->across in front of device->away from device. The bat could be traveling exactly the same speed through the whole swing and the red dots would go from close to spread back to close.

The following was written of the description of “the elite hitter” ….. “Velocity is uniformly maintained towards the ball”.

In the figure below the spaces between the red dots, approaching contact, are roughly the same ... i.e, "uniformly maintained" .... which does not make it a high-level swing IMO.

m8h8jm.gif

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
The scapula is a bone. If it pinches, or compresses in during a hard pull back and barrel turn hand resistance against the turning of the rear leg, fine. When you actually work with several hitters, you find better ways to teach it.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
What's the velocity profile of a spring upon release? Isn't the speed at its max immediately after release and doesn't that rule out acceleration?

Apr 1, 2014
What's the velocity profile of a spring upon release? Isn't the speed at its max immediately after release and doesn't that rule out acceleration?

We really don't know do we? But you know what? I will take instantaneous max velocity "out of the gates" with or without acceleration for the torsion model. It will beat a time-dependent crescendo in achieving that maximal velocity as demonstrated by this graphic for the amateur.

By the way, FFS. Show us that "elite hitter", and let us be the judge. Why don't YOU show us your student?

The following was written of the description of “the elite hitter” ….. “Velocity is uniformly maintained towards the ball”.

In the figure below the spaces between the red dots, approaching contact, are roughly the same ... i.e, "uniformly maintained" .... which does not make it a high-level swing IMO.

m8h8jm.gif

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The scapula is a bone. If it pinches, or compresses in during a hard pull back and barrel turn hand resistance against the turning of the rear leg, fine. When you actually work with several hitters, you find better ways to teach it.

Correct .... you don't pinch the scap per-say, but you do allow the compression you speak of to take place ..... if you must, it 'becomes' pinched ... i.e., the compressive pressure builds as a result of turning the barrel against the backside.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I simply don’t see this …. “Batspeed builds then gets maximally accelerated to the point of contact.” ….. describing the diagram below.

m8h8jm.gif

This description here …. “Velocity is uniformly maintained towards the ball” …. Is more of what I see in the diagram above.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
We really don't know do we? But you know what? I will take instantaneous max velocity "out of the gates" with or without acceleration for the torsion model. It will beat a time-dependent crescendo in achieving that maximal velocity as demonstrated by this graphic for the amateur.

I think we actually know about the velocity of released spring and are guessing about where the acceleration starts in the HLBB swing. If I understand correctly, you're saying that acceleration starts at red dot 1 and continues until contact (i.e., the dot spacing increases up until contact)? If that's wrong, then at what # red dot?

Apr 1, 2014
I simply don’t see this …. “Batspeed builds then gets maximally accelerated to the point of contact.” ….. describing the diagram below.

m8h8jm.gif

This description here …. “Velocity is uniformly maintained towards the ball” …. Is more of what I see in the diagram above.

Correction noted. Thanks for the measurements. The point is that is that it is still amateur because of the time-dependence in achieving that contact velocity. The issue is that maximal velocity is achieved instantaneously in torsional mechanics.

Fly on the dinner table. We have all have used a swatter. Try snapping a cut rubber band. Precise, instantaneous and effective. My boys have made it a sport. The rubber band goes from "zero" to "infinity" if you like, rather quickly. It is still accelerated. Same idea.

But I would like to see that "elite hitter".

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest

The spring has something attached to it, flexible, and THAT has something attached to it with a universal joint.

The spring yells out "Hang on baby, we are going to get whipped".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom