What does the corner mean to you

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
...regardless of the level of one's comprehension of biomechanics, physics, swing theories, etc., the most important and elusive thing is how to teach female SB players to achieve the HLBB because what's being taught now doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

Yes, this is the elusive thing. I know what I feel, and my own (dry) swing is getting closer to being in a decent pattern. However, getting my very-flexible 9yo DD to feel critical areas of tension/resistance in different parts of her body has proven to be a stumbling block for us. With teaching anything, how to effectively convey new concepts is the challenge. Years of teaching, with multiple students, can improve the process through the experience of trial and error. For many DFP'ers, however, who are learning as they are trying to teach their one and only student, the teaching process can get pretty encumbered. As encumbered as it may be for me, I'm still going to do my best to teach what I'm learning/have learned, and keep looking for answers that will help my DD connect the dots. My DD and I might never reach a true HLBB pattern, but I'm sure as hell not going to give up because I haven't gotten her there yet and I'm still learning. Then again, she might finally figure out what I've been trying to teach her, despite my missteps. I'm also not going to stop sharing with others what I've learned in my own journey.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
In the last year I have seen more very young girls posters with really nice swings lately then ever before. Most of them come from parents who are good listeners, don't really try to help everyone else, and definitely don't ask for advice then complain that it wasn't the advice they were looking for, or they might have to google a term to understand it. In the last month or two the forum has been full of posters whining about the terms others use, the advice others give, the views others have. If you don't understand something, learn it or stfu! If you don't agree with something, give a reason why! Or just keep filling the pages up with whining about other posters....make sure you don't include any proof or alternative.

P.S. softball is a hard thing to do.....hitting one well is extremely hard....at some point some of you just need to let your girls enjoy whatever they have left in the sport...not everyone is going to be good at it...and that is ok.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Originally Posted by redhotcoach
P.S. softball is a hard thing to do.....hitting one well is extremely hard....at some point some of you just need to let your girls enjoy whatever they have left in the sport...not everyone is going to be good at it...and that is ok.

Lately have had a few new girls that are 10u, 9u. A coach I know was kind enough to give me a bag of 11 inch balls.
Since I do throwing first, had to get some that they use.
Starting from square one, was and eye opener for me. Been awhile since I have done this.
It has also been really fun to work with girls that are so little.
Redhot has a good point. MAke it fun no matter what level they are on....

SL

Mar 5, 2014
The girl on the left in post 3 doesnt leave her head down like the girl on the right ... shame ... shame .. shame .. Now do I really have to read all 19 pages of this ? I am at work !! lol

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The girl on the left in post 3 doesnt leave her head down like the girl on the right ... shame ... shame .. shame .. Now do I really have to read all 19 pages of this ? I am at work !! lol

I believe the girl on the left in post 3 is lifting her head to watch the ball rocket out of the yard.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
You know this swing. IMO the action your dd is creating...sending the barrel rearward...her lower is turning forward...is creating a corner that the bat is whipping around. Maybe ask her next time you have her do that....ask her if she feels that...if that sounds accurate.
BustosStraightleg.gif

I never did ask her. I know you want to learn. Will ask her when she gets home for the summer in a couple of weeks...

SL

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom