What does the corner mean to you

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thank you Tbao. As an FYI, I like your torsional model …. I use something very similar to that that I term “Pivot the Swing” (which I prefer over “Shift AND Swing”).

I don’t have a GIF of the hitter represented in the diagram. What I like about the diagram is the information of “Axis of Rotation” (shown in ‘magenta’).

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The spring has something attached to it, flexible, and THAT has something attached to it with a universal joint.

The spring yells out "Hang on baby, we are going to get whipped".

At what point does the spring go, become irreversible i.e., beyond the point of stop/check swing? And where is the point that the amateurs and HLBB swing differentiate?

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Thank you Tbao. As an FYI, I like your torsional model …. I use something very similar to that that I term “Pivot the Swing” (which I prefer over “Shift AND Swing”).

I don’t have a GIF of the hitter represented in the diagram. What I like about the diagram is the information of “Axis of Rotation” (shown in ‘magenta’).

What have you learned from the axis dots? Is the forward axis movement different (shorter, longer) at Elite level? I would think shorter axis travel would mean red dots more uniform before contact. Nice graphics, just wondering if there is anything to be learned/taught from this information.

Apr 1, 2014
View attachment 5614

Very interesting stuff.

is it possible you can now show me HOW YOU TEACH HIP SOCKET separation?
Or, how you teach a good corner?

Rock the U, then Invert the U

A demonstration of hip socket separation might be shown here. This is how I would personally teach it. NOTE: There is no complete swing in showing the integration of a functioning scapula and the barrel turn to illustrate a successful corner. But he does demonstrate a crucial component in the swing. He makes a point at the 0:32 mark regarding how the hands stay back in contrasting what the student does incorrectly. Stay tuned in what happens and how to create it.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
View attachment 5614

Rock the U, then Invert the U

A demonstration of hip socket separation might be shown here. This is how I would personally teach it. NOTE: There is no complete swing in showing the integration of a functioning scapula and the barrel turn to illustrate a successful corner. But he does demonstrate a crucial component in the swing. He makes a point at the 0:32 mark regarding how the hands stay back in contrasting what the student does incorrectly. Stay tuned in what happens and how to create it.

Swingbuilder is ate up with the hitting. heck of a machine he invented

SL

Apr 1, 2014
Swingbuilder is ate up with the hitting. heck of a machine he invented

SL

He has yet to show a high level hitter he has personally instructed.

There is a .gif of an SnF he does in his palatial driveway. Despite what is shown here, he SnFs incorrectly, when the full swing is demonstrated. If someone posts it, I can point it out. As for that machine in the background: It reinforces what we all do incorrectly: It teaches one to "muscle through" for coaxial rotation above and below a passive rear hip socket for mechanics involving rotation through a long, ground-based kinetic chain of linkages .

This goes the specificity of alignments that get integrated in the high level swing. The teach in this clip is that a vertical lever defined by the rear hip socket, and lower back in line with the rear scapula, simultaneously leans back as a unit towards the wall behind him. This is the counter lever for the horizontal torque created by the inward force in the knee.

When done properly, the rear hip socket is arrested from moving forward. A "twist" centered at the rear hip socked is the "feel" that the hitter achieves. The CLICK-BACK gets instantly reversed. If the scapula is pinched, the hand set is stabilized rearward. The goal for the hitter is to swivel INTO the direction of his vertical lever.

Sep 17, 2009
TBao I am always looking for new ways to understand and teach the action you describe here and in particular at that Click-Back link. It always takes me a while to absorb the mechanical/physics/anatomical explanations and sometimes I'll admit I never fully understand at that level.

So...caan you help translate them in terms of how you instruct? What words do you use? How do you get hitters to understand and feel the rear hip socket separation/lateral tilt move/SCIP fusing without using any of the technical talk or drawings?

I'll take whatever you've got based on your history of working with the son you've shown, the more the better. What worked and didn't work to move these concepts into the swing of a young hitter?

TKS.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
RichK, I can't speak for TBao, but I'll share some cues I sometimes use to help with this ....

"Turn the barrel against the rear lower back". I'll ask the hitter to feel the muscles for their "top-hand" reaching all the way down to their rear lower back.

Another cue I use is "hitting with the backside". A feel of the 'scrunching' action between the 'rear hip and rear shoulder' and the 'turning of the barrel' against that 'scrunch'. Sometimes I refer to this as "Pivot the Swing". It is this "Pivot the Swing" action that fuels the weight shift ... and hence I use "Pivot the Swing" in place of "Shift AND Swing".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pitch Machine Pros