Weak wrists

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
My DD is a twig. She swings the bat fairly well but her wrists break down at contact causing a loss of power. As twiggy as she is is there something that can be done? She drives with more power when she is early. The wrists break down if she's late to the ball. I can see the bat momentarily stop at contact.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
My DD is a twig. She swings the bat fairly well but her wrists break down at contact causing a loss of power. As twiggy as she is is there something that can be done? She drives with more power when she is early. The wrists break down if she's late to the ball. I can see the bat momentarily stop at contact.

At contact the wrists basically take on the role of a hinge.

May 18, 2009
At contact the wrists basically take on the role of a hinge.

The role of a hinge? Explain. I'm lost when it comes to batting. If she's released the barrel and drives the ball to left field she hits with decent power. If she's late to contact she hits weak to first. I actually see her wrists break backwards.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The role of a hinge? Explain. I'm lost when it comes to batting. If she's released the barrel and drives the ball to left field she hits with decent power. If she's late to contact she hits weak to first. I actually see her wrists break backwards.

Could easily be improper loading of the hands. Post some video and you'll get an answer that better targets the specific issue you wish to address.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2012
Sydney Australia
Try practicing with a tee set up for outside pitch or just set up around back hip so your DD learns to hit with power deep in the zone and doesn't rely on hitting way out front for power. Imagine hitting a nail with a hammer, your wrists aren't locked, you "flick" (for want of a better term) the wrist at contact for power, similar thing for hitting with a bat. I think that's what FFS was alluding to with the hinge comment.
Power AT contact.

Dec 11, 2010
This may or may not be an issue, but Make sure she is gripping correctly with the bat in the crease between the hand and fingers and not back in the palm.

There are quite a few posts here about it. It can make a big difference in bat speed and strength.

May 17, 2012
I am not a doctor but I don't believe their are any wrist muscles. Forearm (and to some extent hand) strength is what you are after.

This is why wrist snaps in pitching are pointless.

May 18, 2009
Try practicing with a tee set up for outside pitch or just set up around back hip so your DD learns to hit with power deep in the zone and doesn't rely on hitting way out front for power. Imagine hitting a nail with a hammer, your wrists aren't locked, you "flick" (for want of a better term) the wrist at contact for power, similar thing for hitting with a bat. I think that's what FFS was alluding to with the hinge comment.
Power AT contact.

Are there power hitting drills for hitting deep in the zone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG