Pitchers With Less Than Perfect Mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
A lot of these girls who land pretty far to the left are probably Tincher instructor students. He teaches a 55 degree body angle to the power line. These girls try to achieve that by landing far left.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
A lot of these girls who land pretty far to the left are probably Tincher instructor students. He teaches a 55 degree body angle to the power line. These girls try to achieve that by landing far left.

Been going to Tincher instructors for 5 years. Never heard a Tincher instructor teaching anything about driving way off to the left.

Aug 21, 2008
I think too many people confuse the absolutes of pitching with the various styles of pitching.

I'd be curious how many "Tincher instructor students" actually pitch like Mr. Tincher himself teaches. Again, I'll preface, I do not know Mr. Tincher, I've never met him nor do I know a lot about what he teaches. I know he's not a H/E coach, which is the #1 thing in my book. But, I've always been curious how many of his disciples coach pitching the way Mr. Tincher thinks it should be done vs. how many want to be "Tincher certified" because it will add more students. This is the #1 reason I have never done a certification program, I don't know how I'd police what's being taught when I'm not around. I certainly don't want someone using my name to collect students, then turn around and teach H/E stuff.

I think I know what ArmWhip is saying though. I go through that too. Maybe it's my ego talking but, the one thing I struggle with the most in the 22 years or so of doing lessons is accepting the fact that some kids are just better at this than others. At some point in creation, God pointed his finger at Sally Jones and said "You will throw the ball 73mph" and Jane Doe who gets the same instruction, same body time, possibly even more desire to be good at pitching can only throw 55mph. I have a hard time accepting that sometimes.

I know the numbers don't show this to be true but, I personally think that any kid that wants to play college softball can do it. There's so many schools at so many different levels. Of course that means accepting reality that you're not going to play for Oklahoma. You may not even play D1. But, that's ok. There's a level of play available for everyone. This is also true for men to play fastpitch. There's an abundance of levels and nationals someone could play, including the various age level tournaments. Last I knew, there was a 70-over National men's championship for guys 70 yrs old who still wanna play ball. How awesome is that?? There's also 60-over, 55 and over, and the most popular level is over 50 events.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
How would you like to teach this motion? Timing up the hitch/hold of the upper body. That has to be hard on the body.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I think too many people confuse the absolutes of pitching with the various styles of pitching.

I'd be curious how many "Tincher instructor students" actually pitch like Mr. Tincher himself teaches. Again, I'll preface, I do not know Mr. Tincher, I've never met him nor do I know a lot about what he teaches. I know he's not a H/E coach, which is the #1 thing in my book. But, I've always been curious how many of his disciples coach pitching the way Mr. Tincher thinks it should be done vs. how many want to be "Tincher certified" because it will add more students. This is the #1 reason I have never done a certification program, I don't know how I'd police what's being taught when I'm not around. I certainly don't want someone using my name to collect students, then turn around and teach H/E stuff.

I think I know what ArmWhip is saying though. I go through that too. Maybe it's my ego talking but, the one thing I struggle with the most in the 22 years or so of doing lessons is accepting the fact that some kids are just better at this than others. At some point in creation, God pointed his finger at Sally Jones and said "You will throw the ball 73mph" and Jane Doe who gets the same instruction, same body time, possibly even more desire to be good at pitching can only throw 55mph. I have a hard time accepting that sometimes.

I know the numbers don't show this to be true but, I personally think that any kid that wants to play college softball can do it. There's so many schools at so many different levels. Of course that means accepting reality that you're not going to play for Oklahoma. You may not even play D1. But, that's ok. There's a level of play available for everyone. This is also true for men to play fastpitch. There's an abundance of levels and nationals someone could play, including the various age level tournaments. Last I knew, there was a 70-over National men's championship for guys 70 yrs old who still wanna play ball. How awesome is that?? There's also 60-over, 55 and over, and the most popular level is over 50 events.

Hillhouse,

Do you have a favorite example, clip (s) of good fundamentals/absolutes?

Apr 17, 2019
How would you like to teach this motion? Timing up the hitch/hold of the upper body. That has to be hard on the body.

Well, according to the new guidance (I forget which sanction), that's illegal, but only because her hands don't separate until after her foot detaches from the rubber. :rolleyes:
Still waiting to see how this all shakes out. I have some students though that I'm tempted to teach leap with because they're so naturally bouncy.
Also, in that video she's basically turned sideways and doing a skater to push off, which... I'd like to see force plate data on forward drive vs. lateral drive if anyone happens to have it. May research later.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I don't think that she replants, her toe touches down but there doesn't seem to be a solid plant-push. It looks llke she does have a gym step though, the sole of her foot is up and possibly not on the rubber, then it slides forward and possibly loses contact.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I'm watching Texas vs Ok St on tape. The Ok St pitcher Kyra Aycock also jumps way left, probably outside the line. A very unusual thing is that her shoulders are slanted down on a 45 degree angle at release. Who would teach this? I have to believe that she developed it on her own. There is no radar so I don't know how fast she is but she was the starter.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I'm watching Texas vs Ok St on tape. The Ok St pitcher Kyra Aycock also jumps way left, probably outside the line. A very unusual thing is that her shoulders are slanted down on a 45 degree angle at release. Who would teach this? I have to believe that she developed it on her own. There is no radar so I don't know how fast she is but she was the starter.

There’s a trick to going left outside the lane. It’s not as simple as just striding left. Let me look for video.

Jul 19, 2021
Been going to Tincher instructors for 5 years. Never heard a Tincher instructor teaching anything about driving way off to the left.
Agreed they don't teach that per se'. They teach the 55 degree angle though and many girls land far left in order to achieve that angle. So it's more of a result of a theory that's taught than something that's outright taught.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619