Pitchers With Less Than Perfect Mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
the one thing I struggle with the most in the 22 years or so of doing lessons is accepting the fact that some kids are just better at this than others. At some point in creation, God pointed his finger at Sally Jones and said "You will throw the ball 73mph" and Jane Doe who gets the same instruction, same body time, possibly even more desire to be good at pitching can only throw 55mph. I have a hard time accepting that sometimes.
Agree 1000% and I don't think enough people grasp that concept. Mechanics and reps can only do so much. For example, these Dominican MLB players certainly don't get the high level of instruction that US players in the development years do yet they dominate the game. Why is that if natural ability isn't the #1 contributing factor to success?

Bottom line, natural God given ability trumps everything. You can't win the Kentucky Derby with a mule, even if Bob Baffert is training it. :)

Jun 29, 2023
My daughter most likely steps over the line on her screw, she's never been called. She's actually been working on going away from the dramatic angle just so doesn't give away what is coming before she releases the pitch.

Apr 17, 2019
Well, according to the new guidance (I forget which sanction), that's illegal, but only because her hands don't separate until after her foot detaches from the rubber. :rolleyes:
Still waiting to see how this all shakes out. I have some students though that I'm tempted to teach leap with because they're so naturally bouncy.
Also, in that video she's basically turned sideways and doing a skater to push off, which... I'd like to see force plate data on forward drive vs. lateral drive if anyone happens to have it. May research later.
Ruleset is USA Softball at least:
1711919981091.png

I really think USA softball got it wrong defining the hands separating as the start of the pitch, but that's one coach's opinion.

Aug 20, 2017
Those pitchers that land left have been hammered with learning to throw a screw ball. Most likely learn from a hello elbow instructor. They figured out how to throw hard and be effective pitchers which is truly what being a pitching coach should be. How many of y’all would have taken these stride left throw right pitchers and “fixed” her lol! I would have! At some point the pitcher has to be an athlete. Just like hitting. We are all constructed differently.

Aug 21, 2008
How would you like to teach this motion? Timing up the hitch/hold of the upper body. That has to be hard on the body.

I doubt this is being taught as much as a pitching coach is just looking away and not making corrections. This particular motion isn't as much about someone pitching correctly, it's about someone trying to stand out. A pitcher's version of yelling "hey look at me!!"

This level of jumping, especially indoors where there's no rubber in the ground to push off is extremely inefficient and borderline stupid.

Sep 19, 2018
Agreed they don't teach that per se'. They teach the 55 degree angle though and many girls land far left in order to achieve that angle. So it's more of a result of a theory that's taught than something that's outright taught.
You are totally off base here. You may have a teacher close to you that teaches that, but it has nothing to do with Tincher.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
For women's fastpitch: Cat Osterman
For men's fastpitch: Mike White

Cat has the spiral's working, good choice. Interestingly she was taught a stepping style and learned how to throw and pitch underhand, she learned how walk before she sprinted. I’m going to find her using the stepping style as a young pitcher, I have it in the vault somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619