Video of 12 yr old DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2011
Blue, Oklahoma
Can you guys look at this video and let me know what you think. Your opinions good or bad will be greatly appreciated. The main problem I see is DD is shifting to the right to far, I know there are other problems but this is what we are working on right now. Videos are taken at DD's pitching lesson last week.

1st video is a view from behind throwing a fastball.
Ashlynn Robinson 1/25/12 (Pitching Lessons-Part 1) - YouTube

2nd videos is front view of DD throwing curve, screw, drop and rise ball
Ashlynn Robinson 1/25/12 (Pitching Lessons-Part 3) - YouTube

3rd Video is a side view and different pitches thrown during location drill
Ashlynn Robinson 1/25/12 (Pitching Lessons-Part 4) - YouTube

4th video is a front view of DD throwing a fastball
Ashlynn Robinson 1/25/12 (Pitching Lessons-Part 5) - YouTube

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Do you honestly believe that she can throw a curve, screw, rise and drop?

You've got a kid that looks like a pretty good athlete who could be a pretty good pitcher, but she needs to focus on becoming really good with a fastball, one vertical breaking pitch (either a rise or a drop), and one changeup. Then, she can try to learn other pitches.

Anyway:

(1) She is using the "hello elbow" instead of "IR". There are whole discussion threads about "Internal Rotation". But, basically, your DD is forcing her right arm into an artificial position after release (the back of the hand facing the catcher). It is wrong.
(2) She is inconsistent in dropping her right shoulder when she pitches. The right shoulder drops prior to release.
(3) She is letting her upper body go forward when she throws. She needs to keep it back.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
How long has she been taking lessons? Can you see how "tight" she is? Pitching needs to flow, not snap, thrust and jerk. She is going to limit her speed by the violent motion she is being taught. (Sorry.)

Have you batted and once in awhile every thing comes together and you easily knock one to the fence? It feels like you haven't hardly hit it at all. That is what pitching should feel like. Take a look at and video your DD's overhand throws. I bet that they look quite different, from her pitching. I bet she is athletic and easily throws 150 feet. That is what her pitching should feel like.

I could make this a sticky, so don't feel like I am picking on your DD. It is evident that she is getting the job done, despite what she has been taught, not because of it. I would make plans to take her to the best pitching coach within a 4 hour drive and see what you think, then.

Jun 18, 2010
rz71, I had the same problem two years ago. DD's pitching style did not mimic what I saw at the top college level. With the help and guidance of the knowledgeable posters on this forum, we got on the right track. A good place to start is the IR thread and the Hillhouse DVD.

Apr 27, 2009
I wonder if it is the camera angle making it look like it's not fluid, on the side video. I would also take her last name out to be safe.

The hip is in the way, and the body is leaning forward, and the elbow snap is painful to watch.

And maybe it was for video but I would not go through all pitches like that at that age. I would group them a few at a time, with fastball breaks between. Yes, too much arm snap/elbow/muscling from the arm. This happens when you learn movement, lot of concentration on what you arm is doing. That is why to break it up and stay loose with fastball, but it has those basics off as mentioned here and above posts.

The lean and lack of coiling into the push off foot are causing the beginnings of a crow hop. The rollover looks best, because the short stride is accommodating it. Maybe put the other pitches away for awhile and do rollover, fastball, change. This helps highlight what you need to do with the fastball/basics, by "contrast"--I find it an effective teaching method.

I also wish I saw more love for pitching, sort of down body language here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan