Help! 13u looking for suggestions.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 21, 2020
My DD has been pitching for years we seem to be at a stand still when it comes to her pitching. What do you see?? She is pretty consistent with spots for the most part. Some walks in games. 1-3. But she has been at a stand still in speed for years. She is 5’9 and is throwing 55-56 mph has fastball, a drop, and a change up… I feel like we are missing something. Something big. Looking for suggestions.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020
My DD has been pitching for years we seem to be at a stand still when it comes to her pitching. What do you see?? She is pretty consistent with spots for the most part. Some walks in games. 1-3. But she has been at a stand still in speed for years. She is 5’9 and is throwing 55-56 mph has fastball, a drop, and a change up… I feel like we are missing something. Something big. Looking for suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She has several issues that seem to be causing some problems.

1) In the front, you can see she doesn't have any brush interference (BI). BI helps with control and speed. Her right arm needs to be brushing her hip, but it's not even close. Her posture is poor. She should be standing tall at release. BI is really important for control. It may be she is not giving 100% because she is worried about losing her control. If she gets BI down pat, she'll be able to go 100% on every pitch and still have good control. There is a "sticky" thread related to BI. There are several posts by Rick Pauly about BI. I suggest you read Rick's posts.

2) Her palm should up at 9. At 10, her palm is already facing 3B. Her IR isn't great. You should go check out the "IR in the Classroom" thread and have her do the beginner drills--the lock and unlock drills--to get a feel for the proper position of her palm.

3) She needs to work on her lower body mechanics. Watch her left leg in the 3rd video. Do you see it? She gets in great position to explode off the rubber and then she doesn't use her leg. She kinda, sorta hops.

Attachments

• front1.JPG
    front1.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 26
  • side2.JPG
    side2.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020
She has several issues that seem to be causing some problems.

1) In the front, you can see she doesn't have any brush interference (BI). BI helps with control and speed. Her right arm needs to be brushing her hip, but it's not even close. Her posture is poor. She should be standing tall at release. BI is really important for control. It may be she is not giving 100% because she is worried about losing her control. If she gets BI down pat, she'll be able to go 100% on every pitch and still have good control. There is a "sticky" thread related to BI. There are several posts by Rick Pauly about BI. I suggest you read Rick's posts.

2) Her palm should up at 9. At 10, her palm is already facing 3B. Her IR isn't great. You should go check out the "IR in the Classroom" thread and have her do the beginner drills--the lock and unlock drills--to get a feel for the proper position of her palm.

3) She needs to work on her lower body mechanics. Watch her left leg in the 3rd video. Do you see it? She gets in great position to explode off the rubber and then she doesn't use her leg. She kinda, sorta hops.

Thank you for your advice.
Should she be working on these in the order that you mentioned them??

Jan 6, 2018
Not saying that she doesn’t need work, we all do lol. I will share that my DD was stuck in the 57-58 cruising speed and she didn’t get unstuck until she hit the gym for 3-4 nights a week for 10 weeks with a trainer. Jumped 4 mph the few months after that while learning to put her stronger body to work. Continue to work at better mechanics of course, but it’s easier when they are stronger! She may be too young for a huge workload at the gym, but the sooner she starts a good program with good trainers the better.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Looking to help her velocity, and accuracy.
I want to get her mechanics really solid before we start another pitch.
Looking for a mechanical fix is only one way to approach this. What are you doing right now to increase her velocity? Someone mentioned weight training, are you using weighted balls or doing long toss? Does she have a part of her pitching practice where she just goes 'all out' and focuses purely on throwing faster?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles