Trips to the Mound

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

de Groot

Pitcher
May 11, 2010
What we do is just calm down and just try to focus on the next batter. If the coach has some advice on the next batter or next couple he will say something but most of the time we just crack jokes and just take the time to calm down.

Sep 3, 2009
No pitch sequences here Amy. NONE of the 9-10 year olds in our area throw secondary pitches. It's FB, FB, FB, if you can even call it that.

Mar 13, 2010
I agree with hal to an extent. There's no time like teaching your catchers to calm your pitchers down, then in under 10s where its really irrelevant. Give them the skills now.

Another pitcher who froths at the words : Just FOCUS and throw strikes! WTF do you think I'm trying to do?

Feb 9, 2009
I've only had to visit the mound once, because my 10U pitcher was GLARING at the ump with a look that said what she'd really like him to do with his called ball...

I didn't try to be her pitching coach, because I'm NOT her pitching coach.
But I did remind her that a true pitcher has mental toughness. And that by allowing the ump to get to her, she was showing that she was a mental wimp.
Of course, this made her madder. BUT, she was very competitive, and I knew she would "show me" how mentally tough she was.
After that, no problem..

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am a pitching coach and I visit the mound often. Nothing upsets me more than to see a girl struggling and no one calls time out.

Here in the desert, I take them a drink. In the event they are very beginners I do stress to them to correct their arm circle, stride out, flip the ball, release at the hip or whatever. Many times, they aren't staying open.

Just give them a little encouragement and see if something is wrong.

Once I went out there and asked a 10 yo if something was wrong and she said, "My dog died last night." Why her folks didn't tell me, is beyond me.

Mar 26, 2010
I totally agree with Amy -- at 10u they need help sometimes to calm themselves down. My 9 yo DD was pitching, bottom of 6th, we were up by 3 runs. A couple batters hit, my DD walks 3 in a row. We are now down by only one run, bases are loaded, one out. I could see the frustration in her body language, but she was tryng hard to keep it under control. Coach comes out to the mound--I figured they were pulling her at that point, but no they left her in. DD strikes out the next two batters with FB and C--game over. It was a huge confidence boost for her and I of course was extremely proud of her for pulling through it. Big thank you to the coach for giving her that push. What did the coach say? "Look at the scoreboard and look at the bases. You can finish this. I know how you can pitch, so show them what you've got. Are you going to be OK?" DD answered Yes. That was it! I don't know if her catcher would have helped or not, but I like the idea of teaching them early how to help their pitcher.

Mar 13, 2010
I would always bring the catcher in when the coach walks out to teach them.

Sometimes people do need a kick to get them back into the game. I've had it from different players on the field (funniest one our centre fielder. Other team didn't know she was my normal catcher) Rarely is time called for me now. I'm old enough to be able to shake myself out of it from a word. (or pull myself if I know I can't. I've had to do that before)

Its different for each pitcher. Some pitchers you can tease into getting back into the mood, others you can force them to be tougher, others you need to baby slightly. At that age, its the individual athlete.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The whole ritual surrounding mound visits for a struggling pitcher is silly.

The coach stops the game, the walks slowly out to the mound and glances at the ump or the outfield, puts a hand on the pitcher's shoulder, and then says *SOMETHING MARVELOUS* and everything is all right.

Coaches add ZERO by going out to the mound. It is a way for the parent/coach to feel better about themselves and to appear to be coaching. The idea that someone can provide some magical insight in 60 seconds is straight out of Hollywood.

Softball is a game. Kids succeed and fail in every game. If there wasn't failure, then softball would be called band competition. There is no shame in a kid failing and doing poorly. It just happens. You don't need to baby the kids. A simple, "Hey, this ain't your day. You'll do better tomorrow," is more than enough.

If a kid at any age is struggling, take her out of the game and sit her on the bench. After she regains her composure, put her back in.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Also, calling time out can let the batter stand awhile and maybe get in her head that we are talking about her. And I can't stress enough, taking the pitcher water - and the catcher.

MLB and U of A use mound visits, quite frequently in my opinion.

Which WCWS team had all of that hugging and congratulating going on almost every pitch? Now, that was a little much. :)

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I agree with Amy here in that it irks me to see coaches ignore the fact that the girl is struggling over "something". And it can be about "anything" at that age. IMHO it is the coaches responsibility to attempt to help her. Not necessarily coach her at this point and not baby her but attempt to help her.

Going to mound and telling a joke or instructing or anything else is simply a matter of trying to "change the pattern" that she currently is in.

The great thing about kids is they are pretty flexible, so alot of the time it doesn't take much for them to "change their own pattern". It’s harder as they get older, just try changing your teenagers pattern or your spouse’s patterns . ;)

If you don't know why they are struggling (which most of the time you don’t regardless of what they say) try to just go out, bring the infield in, make suggestions to other players about something related to defense and let her have a moment where its not all about her, as you leave just say something calmly like "all technique" or "what ever your trying to get her to do, that you’ve told her a hundreds of times already in practice"(not a lecture, not a coaching session, just a simple one or two word suggestion). That keeps it about playing and keeping her focused ball and technique rather than throwing strikes or whatever is going on in her mental pattern and gives her a moment to gather herself (change her own pattern) with out all the attention on her.

Read what Marc and others say about "triggers and anchors", not only can a kid learn to use triggers and anchors for themselves, you as a coach/father can learn to use "triggers and anchors" to help your kids get out of these patterns at the times they need your help.

And I agree with Slugger in a way. As my dd says, "some days i have the mojo, some days i don't". I can understand that, cause some days i myself have it and others i don't. There are times where she just isn't going to have the mojo, don't over analyze it and give someone else a go at it, its ok. Sitting them is a “pattern interruption” and can be a good thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877