How to deal with the frustration of non-linear progression?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2022
How do your daughters deal with the day to day frustration of two steps forward, one step back?

Any tips for helping keep it in perspective? I feel we are stuck in a learning and hormone soup right now that is leading to frustration over a process that is moving forward nicely- but hard to see that from a 13yo’s perspective.

Some of it may just be nerves of first tournament with new team coming up- but I could use some support in helping my daughter roll with the punches a little.

At least I know she cares!
Not for sure what you are working on; I find when the form is adjusted they temporarily lose a little location. This frustrates my daughter.
I have her throw into a net right in front of her. Less pressure just executing good form.

May 27, 2013
This may sound like another joke but it’s not. If you are married to a woman or ever have been then you know how to deal with it. Sometimes you need to just listen and say nothing and then when the time is right you can talk. If she is frustrated trying to talk sense into her isn’t going to work..

As you can all imagine I am REALLLLLY good at this..

Pattar - I am impressed to see this typed out! You get the gold star for the day! 😉

Jun 8, 2016
Pattar - I am impressed to see this typed out! You get the gold star for the day! 😉
Umm..thank you…I think?

Also, like in my professional life, I am more of a theoretician in marriage advice so don’t heap too much praise on me 😂

May 27, 2013
Umm..thank you…I think?

Also, like in my professional life, I am more of a theoretician in marriage advice so don’t heap too much praise on me 😂
Yes - it was definitely a compliment!

I can sense a soft side in there somewhere! 😊

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I know it was not supposed to be a joke but somehow all I can do is laugh. After 45 years on this planet I am still trying to learn how to do this and when to actually do this. Is there some kind of hand book or packet with instructions on how to talk to women? ;)
Try growing up in a house with six older sisters and no brothers. There is no handbook, just a school of hard knocks.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
i have a 13 yr old GD pitcher also. Lots of things mentally and physically going on as well. 12U 40 ft. pitched very well, could spot her fastball and get most to be late on it. Now , 14U and that FB gets put in play. I can see the emotional toll on her questioning what’s happening. She has other pitches to prepare for better hitters, it just got real really quick.

I was told once, “Not every thought has to be said.”

Sep 15, 2015
Teach her about The Path to Mastery... Always helps our pitchers..

That visual is a really good one. Another approach I always liked was: “let’s look at a video from this date exactly one year ago.” You can’t miss the changes that occur over 12 months (usually a lot less) especially at age 12/13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad