How to deal with the frustration of non-linear progression?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2019
How do your daughters deal with the day to day frustration of two steps forward, one step back?

Any tips for helping keep it in perspective? I feel we are stuck in a learning and hormone soup right now that is leading to frustration over a process that is moving forward nicely- but hard to see that from a 13yo’s perspective.

Some of it may just be nerves of first tournament with new team coming up- but I could use some support in helping my daughter roll with the punches a little.

At least I know she cares!
We've found stepping away from it for a few days or moving to something else and circling back to whatever is bringing frustration can help. We've been through so many ups and downs that they are staring to become more immune to the downs but it's a process.

Jun 8, 2016
I am going to be completely honest..it is me that has had to learn to deal with this :cautious:..DD is pretty even keeled with regards to it all.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Take a look at some of the recommendations listed in the "Mental Game Discussions" forum, some of the books, videos and ideas can help the athlete with this issue. Don't expect immediate results but I believe it does help and will benefit them later in life as well.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Take a look at some of the recommendations listed in the "Mental Game Discussions" forum, some of the books, videos and ideas can help the athlete with this issue. Don't expect immediate results but I believe it does help and will benefit them later in life as well.
Please elaborate. Got a favorite book or video?

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Please elaborate. Got a favorite book or video?

Mind Gym, Talent Code, Chop Wood, Carry Water, Mentally Tough Teens (Justin Sua's daily messages are great also...my DD's and I still share and talk about them), 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens, other documentaries and examples, etc... `

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
My DD, now on scholarship in college, was the epitome of 2 steps forward, 1 step backward. I thought that's just how it worked, so I accepted it.

Jan 20, 2023
I post this and the next week at lessons her coach says- looks like you’re throwing heat. Mind if I pull out the radar? And she beats her speed record by 2 MPH and all 6 she measured were at or above her previous record.
I think she’s starting to see the benefits of embracing the suck (my old swim team motto) and powering through. At least it felt like it for a moment last night 🤣

Jul 18, 2021
Fighting this as well, especially from a velocity standpoint. My daughter is a 14 year old left hander. One day I will clock her at 60 mph then the next we at at 57mph. We long toss/pitch twice per week usually. We throw weighted and light balls and she just started in the gym around 2 months ago. Very frustrating to see these fluctuations. Is this normal? Does everyone else experience the same? I feel like she went from 50mph to around 57mph in a matter of 4 months or so. And now we have been stuck topping out at 60mph for the past 4 months and some days can’t even touch it. It’s gonna drive me to drink…more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 18, 2019
Fighting this as well, especially from a velocity standpoint. My daughter is a 14 year old left hander. One day I will clock her at 60 mph then the next we at at 57mph. We long toss/pitch twice per week usually. We throw weighted and light balls and she just started in the gym around 2 months ago. Very frustrating to see these fluctuations. Is this normal? Does everyone else experience the same? I feel like she went from 50mph to around 57mph in a matter of 4 months or so. And now we have been stuck topping out at 60mph for the past 4 months and some days can’t even touch it. It’s gonna drive me to drink…more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Totally normal especially if you are working on things. Look at her trajectory over months not her velocity over days/weeks. If you are 14 and throwing anywhere in the high 50s, velocity is not your biggest opportunity to improve. Spin and spots at that speed and you can strike out 1.5 per inning with an ERA and whip with a one handle or lower.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00