Travel Ball Organizations Making Big $$

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I think there is a place for these power house clubs. These are the girls that will likely play high level college ball. So i see the point of the more expensive programs that include paid coaches, etc.

If your DD has aspirations of playing high level D1 softball (SEC, PAC-12, ect) it may be worth the extra money to play for a marquee name organization. There is a "good ole boy" network in high level TB and the marquee teams get into all the good showcases (Independence, Demarini, Legacy, ect) AND they get preferential game times, opponents and fields. Being on a team with multiple D1 talented players also attracts college coaches. I am sure there are stories of players from tier-2 organizations and independent teams who have gone on to great college careers at top D1 schools, but they are the exception, not the rule.

Jul 26, 2010
If your DD has aspirations of playing high level D1 softball (SEC, PAC-12, ect) it may be worth the extra money to play for a marquee name organization. There is a "good ole boy" network in high level TB and the marquee teams get into all the good showcases (Independence, Demarini, Legacy, ect) AND they get preferential game times, opponents and fields. Being on a team with multiple D1 talented players also attracts college coaches. I am sure there are stories of players from tier-2 organizations and independent teams who have gone on to great college careers at top D1 schools, but they are the exception, not the rule.

This is more of an issue with how athletes are recruited. If you ask college coaches (D1) who and how they recruit, they will tell you that they "listen to someone they trust". Who is it they trust? The people who have not led them astray. They're not going to listen to Joe Hamsammich from Idaho, but they will listen to people like (the late) Phil Mumma who will tell them honestly how good a player is and what kind of program they would be a fit for.

So in this respect, sure, it's a "good ole boy" network, because it makes sense to play for the teams coached by people the college coaches will actually listen to, if it is indeed the players goals to play for the schools coached by coaches that will only listen to the coaches that they trust.

I love Sue Enquist, but if you've ever heard her talk about recruiting, she will spend hours telling you about all of the things that your player and family should and should not do, but when questioned about how she recruited at UCLA, she will answer that she "listened to a few people she trusted".

-W

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
With a "marquee" organization you are paying for the network built over time by the coaches and parents. If you want to play for a Big-D1 program your best asset is a TB coach that has placed a player at that school or the a parent of a current or past player. They can open the door and get the coaches to a good look at your DD. Some programs have that network, others do not.

If the network provides little value to your recruiting efforts you are wasting time and money. Even the large organizations should be view with a high level of scrutiny. There are a couple in Central Florida that brag how many of their players go to "D1" schools. But when you look deeper they are to weak softball programs and the players tend to ride the pine. If your goal is to be able to say you played D1 if only for 40 AB's a season they are your ticket. If you want to go to a strong program and actually play, you need to choose an organization that has done that.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2013
With a "marquee" organization you are paying for the network built over time by the coaches and parents. If you want to play for a Big-D1 program your best asset is a TB coach that has placed a player at that school or the a parent of a current or past player. They can open the door and get the coaches to a good look at your DD. Some programs have that network, others do not.

If the network provides little value to your recruiting efforts you are wasting time and money. Even the large organizations should be view with a high level of scrutiny. There are a couple in Central Florida that brag how many of their players go to "D1" schools. But when you look deeper they are to weak softball programs and the players tend to ride the pine. If your goal is to be able to say you played D1 if only for 40 AB's a season they are your ticket. If you want to go to a strong program and actually play, you need to choose an organization that has done that.

Any players best asset is the quality of her play.

It cannot be purchased ... Though many think.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Any players best asset is the quality of her play.

It cannot be purchased ... Though many think.

That goes without saying. I see many talented players go unnoticed as they wait for their talent to somehow get discovered. Also many players with superior talent lose out to lesser players who are more adept at working the recruiting process. If the coach never sees the talent, the level of talent is moot.

Jul 2, 2013
That goes without saying. I see many talented players go unnoticed as they wait for their talent to somehow get discovered. Also many players with superior talent lose out to lesser players who are more adept at working the recruiting process. If the coach never sees the talent, the level of talent is moot.

No ... It does not go without saying. If the player is good enough ... It becomes ... What can the player do for them ... Versus what can the school do for me.

It is the internet age. Great players get noticed. Become great.

And this is from a Dad whose DD has never forwarded an e-mail. Never wanted to play at the college level.

Still has opportunities, a plenty.

It is ALL about how good DD can BALL. The rest is purely a marketing took to get .....

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
No ... It does not go without saying. If the player is good enough ... It becomes ... What can the player do for them ... Versus what can the school do for me.

It is the internet age. Great players get noticed. Become great.

And this is from a Dad whose DD has never forwarded an e-mail. Never wanted to play at the college level.

Still has opportunities, a plenty.

It is ALL about how good DD can BALL. The rest is purely a marketing took to get .....

So to your point regardless of the level of a players talent, if they have no interest in playing college ball or do not market themselves properly to get in front of the coach, the level of talent to a college coach is a moot point. They are of no value to the coach or the program.

Jul 2, 2013
So to your point regardless of the level of a players talent, if they have no interest in playing college ball or do not market themselves properly to get in front of the coach, the level of talent to a college coach is a moot point. They are of no value to the coach or the program.

My point is that the level of the talent TRUMPS ALL.

You do not need to market PERIOD. It does help a bunch, I will not deny. This is coming from a parent of a DD who never wanted to play college softball. Has the talent to do so. Ignored all aspects of recruiting. But because she has the TALENT to play at the college level, still has folks calling.

Sure ... Doing all the extras will get you the BEST opportunity (to possibly washout as a freshman).

BUT ... If you can BALL ... Rest assured ... SOMEONE knows who you are, And has used the internet to tell others.

It is the quality of your play which is the SOLE determinate of whether you are in the college World Series making a difference. The rest is folks promising the moon, while at the same time reaching in your back pocket.

Literally, It is how softball is. It is not a men's sport where there is some gold pot at the end of the rainbow.

Play college softball, great for you. I really do respect that.

But for those who have the talent to play at that level, but choose not to because they realize their adult life is beginning, and softball has reached the limit of value to them ....

Don't disrespect.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
SCDad...your DD plays for a great HS program and a great TB program--both of which probably have some "juiced in" coaches. I think are underestimating the benefit of a well-connected coaches.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My point is that the level of the talent TRUMPS ALL.

You do not need to market PERIOD. It does help a bunch, I will not deny. This is coming from a parent of a DD who never wanted to play college softball. Has the talent to do so. Ignored all aspects of recruiting. But because she has the TALENT to play at the college level, still has folks calling.

Sure ... Doing all the extras will get you the BEST opportunity (to possibly washout as a freshman).

BUT ... If you can BALL ... Rest assured ... SOMEONE knows who you are, And has used the internet to tell others.

It is the quality of your play which is the SOLE determinate of whether you are in the college World Series making a difference. The rest is folks promising the moon, while at the same time reaching in your back pocket.

Granted, TALENT is key. But TALENT that is not recognized for the purposes of recruiting is TALENT that does not exist. There are many players with exceptional TALENT that never get recruited. Some go unnoticed, while others although noticed lack other equally important qualities. This from a coach who has been doing this for decades in several states and with well over 50 athletes going on to play college ball. Your situation is quite unique and certainly not the norm. People would do well not to heed your unconventional wisdom based on your very limited and quite unique experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles