Transition from Tee to Pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
Normal practice is just me and my DD.When hitting off a tee I can watch my DD swing.I can make adjustments as we go along.I have the backstop marked out so I know where the ball is supposed to go. I think there is alot to learn off of tee swings.We then move to live pitching.It's harder to watch as DD swings,but I try.You just can't let DD swing away any way she likes as long as she's hitting the ball.I would still use the tee,I do every hitting session.Then finish with live pitching.By the "results" of the swing you normally can tell what went wrong with the swing.You know what the "results'' have been in the game.If you think a DD is going to magically hit the ball in a game by just hacking away your sadly mistaken.Easier to learn the correct way to hit a softball of a tee then move to a pitched ball.
thats how my dd and I do it, what I meant about using a Tee only was when we were in the baby steps you could say,then would move to the next,it was boring for both of us at first to do so,but she was learning a whole new approach to hitting,well getting rid of my bad understanding of hitting at the time.My daughter loves hitting off the tee now.We do tee work and go to live hitting.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Nanotech14,
That was a general statement and not directed at you or any other poster.Sorry if it seemed that way.I to use/used tee alot we are in the baby steps also.Well documented in my DD's posts.I find tee is good for learning in a controlled way.I am able to watch and adjust with each swing.I like live pitching along with tee work,because the ball is moving.Hitting a pitched ball is why we do tee work.We hope with the tee work DD's swing will carry over to the pitched softball.DD likes live pitching also,gives her a chance to hit dear old dad with the ball every now and then.Last time DD hit me in the beer belly I cried it hurt.

Jan 25, 2011
Nanotech14,
That was a general statement and not directed at you or any other poster.Sorry if it seemed that way.I to use/used tee alot we are in the baby steps also.Well documented in my DD's posts.I find tee is good for learning in a controlled way.I am able to watch and adjust with each swing.I like live pitching along with tee work,because the ball is moving.Hitting a pitched ball is why we do tee work.We hope with the tee work DD's swing will carry over to the pitched softball.DD likes live pitching also,gives her a chance to hit dear old dad with the ball every now and then.Last time DD hit me in the beer belly I cried it hurt.
no problem here I was all so making a broad statement.

May 16, 2010
Looking for some input on a topic that has been frustrating me to no end. I have completely torn apart DD's swing and started to rebuild it based on all of the fantastic posts I've followed on this forum. She's really close to where I want her to be when working off a tee. Lower half is OK, swing is tight, she slots the back elbow and she extends through the ball with power. The problem is, every time she gets off the tee and hits live pitching, she reverts back to the weak form she had in the beginning where she straightens her arms at the beginning of the swing and just uses her arms to pull the bat through the zone. No hips, no legs..... no power at all. After a long tee session, I can get her to keep it together for some soft toss. But as soon as she sees a "pitch" it's all gone. Worst part is she'll take a practice swing outside the batter's box with perfect form. Is there any "Secret" to transitioning what they learn on the tee and soft toss to live hitting?

That is quite common and normal.

IMO, there are 4 stages that you need to progress through;

1. Tee
2. Short toss from the front behind a screen
3. BP
4. Game speed and pitches

Typically, as you go from one number to the next, there will be some break down. You can't jump from tee to BP or game.

Go from tee to short front toss, and if more than one thing breaks down at that level, pick one and work on it. Then work on the next thing. If you can't fix the problems at level 2, go back to number 1 and work some more, and then go to level 2.

If everything looks good at level 2, then go to BP, level 3. It may break down at that level. Again, work on one thing at a time, and if it doesn't get fixed go back to level 2, and if necessary all the way back to level 1.

If things look good in BP, then start throwing as if it were a game. Something may break again. If so, go back to level 1 or 2.

The brain does not like to change what it learned previously, and in stress situations (game, or game speed), the brain will revert to what it felt most comfortable with. The method that requires no conscious thought.

It takes 1500 to 3000 correct swings as a combination of tee, short toss and BP before the new swing will go on auto-pilot in a game.

I don't remember where the study was done, but a study found that it takes 300 to 500 correct reps to get muscle memory to lock in a particular complex body action that was never done before, but it takes 1500 to 3000 correct reps to modify what you previously locked in.

My experience has been that until you get 1500 correct reps in practice, there is a 90% chance that in the game you will revert to the old moves. Under pressure, the brain executes what it remembers having success with, and resists doing the unlearned moves.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2011
Could timing also play a part in it? My DD has a really nice tee swing & hits the ball very well off a tee. Instructors at clinics have been extremely complimentary of her swing, however in BP or games the results are clearly not on par. I'm sure some of the mechanics are breaking down, but overall her BP/game swings are still quite good for her age group. It seems that she is often so afraid of being late, that she starts the loading process too early and ends up getting her foot down way in advance. She's still hitting the ball, but not with the authority that she does in tee drills. I have stressed the SLOW part of the slow & early load, but sometimes she is so early that no matter how slowly she loads she is still waiting for the pitch. I'm not saying that this is the issue with the OP's daughter, but timing is definitely a variable that exists in BP and game pitching that is not present whatsoever in tee swings, so it's something to consider. And BTW I will gladly take any suggestions on how to help my daughter with her timing issues:)

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Excellent feedback from FFS and jbooth. A major point is you can't rush it. Like any true skill (musical instrument, dance, hitting) you have to build on a good foundation, get it right and not rush to a result.

Jul 17, 2012
Excellent feedback from FFS and jbooth. A major point is you can't rush it. Like any true skill (musical instrument, dance, hitting) you have to build on a good foundation, get it right and not rush to a result.
I agree, I think they're basically saying the same thing. The front toss is something I don't work on quite as often as I should. I use a tarp for her to hit into so it's tough to do straight on. I usually do side toss. Sometimes I think that screws her up more than it helps. I guess I need to invest in a net.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Try hitting off a tee and then front toss w/ the TCB 15 oz balls. Good for lmtd space, no net required, and requires a game-intensity swing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1