Too early to predict WCWS Champion?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
And 10 or 11 of those 20 years Pac 10/12 teams played each other in the championship.:)

Make that 13 times and if you add in the other CA teams like Fresno St. and Cal State Northridge (that also wilt in the heat) you have 17 runner-up finishes. No doubt the SEC is getting better because more and more CA players are choosing to play for them but to say that the PAC-12 can't handle the heat and humidity is a little misguided.

Apr 1, 2010
I don't know why Oklahoma is getting left off of so many lists. That lineup is deadly and their pitching is getting better every day. I would pick them over Georgia, Auburn and Alabama by a good amount.

I do like Oklahoma, and they're definitely acclimated to the climate. ;-)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Seems as though the SEC fans only talk of how much better it gets season after season while the PAC-12 fans sit back and reminisce.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Yeah, you are probably right since the Pac-12 has only won the last 20 of 25 WCWS championships when hosted in Oklahoma City since 1990 :D

Here we go again. PAC12 this, PAC 12 that..... How will that stat look in another 10 years? :)
The PAC12 once ruled. Emphasis on the word once. The tide has changed and their dominance has been removed. They will slowly slide into "has been" status with an occasional single team impressive performance.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Here we go again. PAC12 this, PAC 12 that..... How will that stat look in another 10 years? :)
The PAC12 once ruled. Emphasis on the word once. The tide has changed and their dominance has been removed. They will slowly slide into "has been" status with an occasional single team impressive performance.

Are you sure about that? A lot of that SEC talent had to get pulled from California. There is a whole lotta alumni money floating around the west coast to upgrade facilities and keep the homegrown talent local and to lure Becky Sue out to the Golden State. SEC did a nice job of getting out in front on spiffy digs but that will not last long. I think the SEC got a couple of sucker punches in for a few years recruiting wise but the giant is awakened now.

Dec 20, 2012
Seems as though the SEC fans only talk of how much better it gets season after season while the PAC-12 fans sit back and reminisce.

In the past 5 years The SEC has had 12 in the WCWS, PAC12- 11, BIG 12- 10.
Champions: SEC- 2, PAC- 2, BIG 12- 1.

Because the SEC has been a johnny come lately in the world of softball they are now where it ends and begins? I guess when Bama fans talk football they are just reminiscing as to what they used to be?

11209470_961396757225328_4270074863536536589_n.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Make that 13 times and if you add in the other CA teams like Fresno St. and Cal State Northridge (that also wilt in the heat) you have 17 runner-up finishes. No doubt the SEC is getting better because more and more CA players are choosing to play for them but to say that the PAC-12 can't handle the heat and humidity is a little misguided.

The one thing I have finally grown tired of is the thought is the softball world revolves around California.

Alabama has as many girls from SC as they do from Ca, 2 while they have 6 from Alabama. They have as many girls from MJHS in Morris, AL as they do from Ca. Add in one at Auburn and two at South Alabama and the same high school has more players (starters) on competitive teams here than California. Throw in a third girl from less than 10 miles away and the same rec league from when they were young produced more talent than Ca has for the teams.

At the same time Auburn has 13 Alabama girls on the roster compared to 2 from Cali. Only four of the girls came from west of the Ms.

The southeast was behind for a long time and young girls did not have the opportunities they had out west to play ball. The younger ages will continue to get better and as time goes on more girls will move onto the colleges here in the SE. In most ages (definitely the younger ones) on a national level teams from the southeast are starting to make some gains.